Alerting

Why does splunk query only show 1 recipent?

sulaimancds
Engager
index=mail sender!="postmaster@groupncs.onmicrosoft.com"
| lookup email_domain_whitelist domain AS RecipientDomain output domain as domain_match
| where isnull(domain_match)
| lookup all_email_provider_domains domain AS RecipientDomain output domain as domain_match2
| where isnotnull(domain_match2)
| stats values(recipient) values(subject) earliest(_time) AS "Earliest" latest(_time) AS "Latest" count by RecipientDomain sender
| sort -count
| convert ctime("Latest") | convert ctime("Earliest")

original command  above

modify command below 

| lookup email_domain_whitelist domain AS RecipientDomain output domain as domain_match
| lookup all_email_provider_domains domain AS RecipientDomain output domain as domain_match2
| table sender recipient subject DateTime
| sort recipent == 1
| where recipient == 1
| convert ctime(DateTime)

when  i use where, there is no results showing.  i only want to show results of a single recipient. if there are many do not show it .

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please try below for subject count, it will show you the unique subject count.

| stats values(recipient) as recipient values(subject) as subject earliest(_time) AS "Earliest" latest(_time) AS "Latest" count by RecipientDomain sender 
| where mvcount(recipient)=1
| eval subject_count=mvcount(subject)
| sort -count 
| convert ctime("Latest") 
| convert ctime("Earliest")
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi, please try below;

| stats values(recipient) as recipient values(subject) as subject earliest(_time) AS "Earliest" latest(_time) AS "Latest" by RecipientDomain sender 
| sort - subject_count 
0 Karma

sulaimancds
Engager

also i have list of suspicious keywords to in a list in lookup editor called suspicoussubject_keywords.

can you include the query to lookup for this keyword in subject and then display results?

for example if there is the worder tender , in subject , results will be displayed.

0 Karma

sulaimancds
Engager

hi>

Tags (1)
0 Karma

sulaimancds
Engager

Thank you, it works , 

next i would like to include in the results if there are any attachments in the email, show me the attachment name and size of the attachment in MB/GB.

Is this possible ?

Adding on ,

also i have list of suspicious keywords to in a list in lookup editor called suspicoussubject_keywords.

can you include the query to lookup for this keyword in subject and then display results?

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please try below for subject count, it will show you the unique subject count.

| stats values(recipient) as recipient values(subject) as subject earliest(_time) AS "Earliest" latest(_time) AS "Latest" count by RecipientDomain sender 
| sort -count 
0 Karma

sulaimancds
Engager

hi i do not need the count 

count by RecipientDomain sender

can remove this option and give me the full command without count 
also , i want to sort subject count from high to low , 10 highest being on top and low 1 being below.

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I didn't understand your question. Is your problem only for missing the DateTime field? That search does not give any output.

Did you try my reply? It should show you what you want.

Please be more specific.

0 Karma

sulaimancds
Engager

| sort recipient == 1

this is my current modified command,  i want to show only 1 recipient, but sort recipient == 1 does not work.

also i would like to show subject count , from this sender to this recipent , in last 24 hours , 10 emails was sent so 10 subject count.

In addition to that , ctime(DateTime) does not work.

kindly help.

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please try below;

| stats first(_time) as firstTime latest(_time) as lastTime values(subject) as subject values(recipient) as recipient by sender 
| convert ctime(*Time)
0 Karma

sulaimancds
Engager

okay sorry. for the new command which you have given , i would like to count the amount of subjects ? 

for example in 24 hours , 10 emails , were being sent , so subject count should be 10 ? can you modify it for me ?

i will discuss the other command later

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sulaimancds,

You can use mvcount() function to count recipients like below;

| sort -count 

0 Karma

sulaimancds
Engager

please try for the other command 

Tags (1)
0 Karma

sulaimancds
Engager

| sort recipent == 1
| where recipient == 1

what about this command ? only datetime is not showing. only show results that contains 1 recipient.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

sulaimancds
Engager

please help

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...