Alerting

Why am I unable to send field value from search to custom alert script?

Cuyose
Builder

I have an alert that triggers when a fail percentage from a scheduled search runs. If I reference the field using $result.Percent$ where Percent is the field with the value I want to include, I can reference this token in the email subject action just fine. However when I try and use it in our custom action by referencing it as below I can't seem to get it to work.

sendalert $action_name$ results_Percent="$result.Percent$" results_file="$result.file$" results_link="$results.link$"
0 Karma
1 Solution

Cuyose
Builder

I was able to figure this out. For some reason declaring those variables in a settings file and referencing that instead of directly from the search worked.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Cuyose
Builder

I was able to figure this out. For some reason declaring those variables in a settings file and referencing that instead of directly from the search worked.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please post the stanza for that alert action (whatever value will be in the field action_name) from your alert_actions.conf or saved_searches.conf file.

That action will need fields results_Percent, results_file and results_link defined in order to make use of them.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/AdvancedDev/ModAlertsLog
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/SearchReference/Sendalert

0 Karma

Cuyose
Builder

these are all defined in the alert. here is the stanza. For whatever reason, the results_file="$results.file$" results_link="$results.link$" portions work fine, but the results_Percent="$result.Percent$" part never gets a value even though the email action easily pics this value up.

[TEST AWS SPLUNK EMF ALERT PROD]
action.email = 1
action.email.include.results_link = 0
action.email.include.trigger = 1
action.email.include.trigger_time = 1
action.email.include.view_link = 0
action.email.inline = 1
action.email.message.alert = The alert condition for '$name$' was triggered at $result.Percent$ %.
action.email.priority = 5
action.email.sendresults = 1
action.email.to = aa@aa.com
action.email.useNSSubject = 1
action.emf = 1
action.emf.command = sendalert $action_name$  results_file="$results.file$" results_link="$results.link$"  results_Percent="$result.Percent$"
action.emf.param.auth_token_override = xxx
action.emf.param.severity = 2
alert.severity = 5
alert.suppress = 1
alert.suppress.period = 5m
alert.track = 1
alert_condition = search Percent> .5
auto_summarize.dispatch.earliest_time = -1d@h
counttype = custom
cron_schedule = * * * * *
dispatch.earliest_time = -15m@m
dispatch.latest_time = -m@m
enableSched = 1
request.ui_dispatch_app = app
request.ui_dispatch_view = search
schedule_window = 3
search = *base search*|timechart partial=f span=5m avg(pct) as Percent
0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you seen this? http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/AdvancedDev/CustomAlertScript

Can you give more background on what sendalert does?

0 Karma

Cuyose
Builder

basically, we are just creating a json payload and parsing it in the simple script below, the other info comes in fine, but the extradetails where I am testing this, always comes back empty
def post_event(payload):
settings = payload.get('configuration')

api_endpoint = settings.get('api_endpoint').rstrip('/')
  auth_token = settings.get('auth_token_override')
  if not auth_token:
    auth_token = settings.get('auth_token')

#FIXME: ideally, this should not be the splunk_server that triggers the alert,
  #       but the host where the data are generated from.
  host = payload.get('server_host')
  severity = settings.get('severity')
  search_name = payload.get('search_name')
  result_link = payload.get('results_link')
  result_file = payload.get('results_file'),
  results_Percent = payload.get('results_Percent')
  data = {
    'source': 'Splunk',
    'host': host,
    'eventtype': search_name,
    'severity': severity,
    'summary': search_name,
    'extradetails': results_Percent,
    'searchpath': result_file
  }
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...