Alerting

Why am I not receiving e-mail notification?

ravir_jbp
Explorer

I am able to perfom search for disk space and can see the reuslts. However, I am not getting alert when I setup it in alert option. Below are the settings I have used:

Search script:
===============
index=perfmon host=XXXXXX OR host=YYYYYYYsourcetype="Perfmon:LogicalDisk" counter="% Free Space" instance="C:" OR instance="D:" OR instance="E:" Value earliest=-1m latest=now |dedup instance host| sort host| eval Value=round(Value,0)| where Value<50| stats list(host),list(instance),list(Value)| rename list(host) as Servers, list(instance) as Drives, list(Value) as FreeSpaceLeft%

Cron expression :
=====================
*/5 * * * *

Trigger alert condition:
=========================

search Value <= 50

CAn you please help me on where it went wrong. I am not getting alert for this condition.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI @ravir_jbp,

Yes, you have to put the condition only in one point: in the search or in the triggering conditions.

my hint is to put all the conditions in the search and trigger the alert when you have results (results>0), without putting the condition in the triggering conditions.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ravir_jbp,

let me understand: you inserted the condition

| where Value<50

inside the search, so if you have results the alert must trigger, is it correct?

in this case the condition to set for the alert activation isn't "value<=0" but "results>0".

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

ravir_jbp
Explorer

Hi @gcusello ,

Yes firstly I am trying to filter which drive has space left below 50 % and if condition is met then I need to send e-mail alert. That is why I used Value <50.  

Shall I use results>0 in the trigger condition? I am confused here.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI @ravir_jbp,

Yes, you have to put the condition only in one point: in the search or in the triggering conditions.

my hint is to put all the conditions in the search and trigger the alert when you have results (results>0), without putting the condition in the triggering conditions.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

ravir_jbp
Explorer

Hi @gcusello ,

Thank you very much. This worked for me!!! Thank you again.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ravir_jbp,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...