Alerting

What scripting languages are supported in Splunk Cloud to run for custom alerts?

KalpeshKhetani
Engager

What scripting languages are supported in Splunk Cloud? We need to create a script to launch as a custom alert mechanism, but are not sure what is supported. Documentation points to Python or Powershell, but are there other supported mechanisms?

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Not sure what languages Splunk Cloud supports . But it looks like you have to open a ticket to get your script uploaded anyway, so probably best to ask the Splunk support . See: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/latest/User/Admintasks

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You cant upload any code directly to Splunk Cloud. You cant ssh into your solution either. The only way to add code is to package a custom app and then install it from app manager. So maybe you can create an alert action script in your own app, then upload to storm. I'm not certain this will work, because what if I uploaded a script that blew up the storm? Then you're gonna scream 100% up-time my butt, gimme a refund. So they've disabled many features in storm.

As for what language may be your best bet... I say python. I say this because python is what splunk uses and if you learn python you'll be able to read splunk code and debug splunk and splunk apps much easier.

0 Karma

KalpeshKhetani
Engager

Hi thanks for your reply.

To clarify - I'm looking to create a custom alert based on a search threshold. This isn't to send data into Splunk. The script is to invoke an API call to an external 3rd party system.

In SplunkCloud, when saving a search as an alert, you are able to add a "Trigger Alert" to "Run a Script". The script must be located in $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/scripts

I was enquiring what language these scripts can be written in?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...