Security

Is there some permission I can assign to users to allow them to upload images without asking an admin/power user?

jonaclough
Path Finder

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DashApp/0.9.0/DashApp/chartsImage

• When you upload an image, it is stored in the KV store. Because of this, only Enterprise admins, Cloud sc_admins, and power users can upload or delete images. If you don't have the correct role assigned to upload images, you can ask someone with the correct role to add it for you

Is there some permission I can assign to users to allow them to upload images without asking an admin/power user?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

dinesh_bendigo
Explorer

@merrelr Edit permission of below collections and make them readable to user roles
splunk-dashboard-images splunk-dashboard-images

0 Karma

merrelr
Path Finder

@dinesh_bendigo I haven't tested this, but I don't think this will work. The collection you mention isn't exported to the system, but instead is app only (splunk-dashboard-studio).  Because of this it's not clear to me how allowing the user role read permissions to the splunk-dashboard-images will allow them to upload images on dashboards in other apps that aren't splunk-dashboard-studio.

0 Karma

dinesh_bendigo
Explorer

@merrelr You can make that object visible in all apps by exporting it to system

dinesh_bendigo_0-1700537701322.png

0 Karma

merrelr
Path Finder

Currently on version 9.0.2 and having the same issue.

I did some testing with a new user and role and this is what I found.

The only capability that will grant this access is the admin_all_objects which we can all agree isn't for regular users. 

Since we don't use the built in power role I did some testing with it and removed all it's inheritance and capabilities then set my new testing role to inherit it. For some reason that worked. So it's just checking if the user has the power role not actually anything within it.

So the ability to upload images currently requires one of the following:

• admin_all_objects capability 
  • power role (with or without user role or capabilities)

0 Karma

wfrankl2
Explorer

Following as I have the same question and actually my power users can't upload images either even though documentation says they can.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...