Alerting

Timechart CPU by Process

mxanareckless
Path Finder

I'm interested in creating an alert scheduled to run every 60 minutes, that will search for hosts which have had > 85% CPU load over a span of 5 minutes. Here's the search:

index=index sourcetype=cpu
| streamstats time_window=5min latest(cpu_load_percent) count by host
| eval cpu_load_percent=if(count<18,null,round(cpu_load_percent, 2))
| where cpu_load_percent>85
| dedup host
| table host, _time, cpu_load_percent

From there, I would like a report generated, wherein for each host a timechart is provided for the last 60 minutes, showing CPU %s for each of the processes run on that host. Ideally this will be a line chart, with a line for each of the top 10 CPU-heavy processes. I've tried using | transaction, and this is what I have so far:

index=index sourcetype=cpu AND sourcetype=top host=$host$
| timechart latest(cpu_load_percent) by COMMAND

I'd really appreciate any guidance on how to implement an alert of this type.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tscroggins
Influencer

@to4kawa 

It should be a field alias in recent versions of Splunk_TA_nix. I just verified 8.2.0 and 8.3.0. It's not present in 5.2.4, which is the only other version I have handy.

[top]
FIELDALIAS-cpu_load_percent = pctCPU as cpu_load_percent

View solution in original post

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

I don't know the result of sourcetype=top at all, so it's hard to say.

mxanareckless
Path Finder
0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
index=index sourcetype=cpu AND sourcetype=top host=$host$
| timechart latest(cpu_load_percent) by COMMAND

sourcetype=top doesn't have cpu_load_percent.

try coalesce

tscroggins
Influencer

@to4kawa 

It should be a field alias in recent versions of Splunk_TA_nix. I just verified 8.2.0 and 8.3.0. It's not present in 5.2.4, which is the only other version I have handy.

[top]
FIELDALIAS-cpu_load_percent = pctCPU as cpu_load_percent

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...