Alerting

Splunk is showing high CPU load on Linux Server

4uramana4u
Explorer

Hello Splunk Experts,

I have an issue with measuring the CPU load in a Linux box. 

With the below query, I am getting a high CPU usage when there were no activities running on Linux Server.

Actually, the server status is pretty much an Idea most of the time and it is being used as a backup server.

cpu_load = 100 - PercentIdleTime;   

eval cpu_load = 100 - PercentIdleTime | stats avg(cpu_load) as "CPUUsage" by host | eval "CPUUsage"=round('CPUUsage', 2) | where CPUUsage>90

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

Pikta
Explorer

Hi,  @4uramana4u 
Can you write your Linux machine parameters? 
Maybe the answer in your question is here:

Splunk hardware requirements
The following are the minimum and recommended hardware requirements for running Splunk Light.

Platform : Non-Windows platforms 

Minimum supported hardware: 1x1.4 GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM

Recommended hardware :  2x six-core, 2+ GHz CPU, 12 GB RAM, Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) 0 or 1+0, with a 64 bit OS installed.

0 Karma

4uramana4u
Explorer

@Pikta 

Thanks for the reply. 

The intended server is actually a Database server managing the production data and we want the CPU usage to be monitored by Splunk.

In terms of hardware, it is well equipped and it has nearly 1 million DB transactions per day. 

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...