Alerting

Splunk alert email are not sent after upgrading to 6.3 .

kmudigonda
Explorer

Splunk alert email are not sent after upgrading to 6.3 . Tried /local/alerts_actions.conf to have the right mailserver and from values. When I try SendMail command it always defaults to the email from value in the default/alerts_actions.conf . See the error in python.log : 2016-01-16 09:37:47,071 Central Standard Time ERROR sendemail:357 - Sending email. subject="Here is an email notification", results_link="None", recipients="xxxxx"

0 Karma

kmudigonda
Explorer

Sorry to not post the resolution soon enough. we found that at one point we used Search head pooling. Then disabled it at later time and moved the Shared folder to a local location on the active server. During the upgrade this share folder was not upgraded. We upgraded it few days ago and alert emails started flowing. Thank you for the tips!

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Invalid sender is the error. You have specified an invalid email address as the sender. Splunk@searcheadservername is missing the TLD (top level domain (.com,.net, etc)).

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Also alert_actions.conf is a "per app" setting. So you can override the default with an alert_actions.conf in your search app for example.

0 Karma

kmudigonda
Explorer

Splunk@searcheadservername - This is what is shown in the error. My setting in the ..conf files is in the right format - Splunk@xxxx.com

Email properties from web ie, Settings -> Email settings and see if the values are updated or not: Settings has right values - Splunk@xxxx.com

Copied the alert_actions.conf to Search app level too and restarted Splunkd. Still same error when trying the SendEmail command.

Unsure from where Splunk@searcheadservername is being picked up..

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use this command to see where if at all splunk@searchheadservername is being picked up:

./splunk cmd btool alert_actions list --debug

Is this a search head cluster?

If so the process of updating is very specific. The only way I know to set alert_actions.conf on search head cluster is to open email settings in the admin panel in the UI from any of the search heads (you have to accept the warning message about showing all menu items), and then the conf gets distributed to the other members of the search head cluster. Distributing an app to change alert_actions.conf doesnt work in a SHC (for the server settings ie server name, from email, user/pass) from my recent experience. I believe some settings like the limits, can be set per app in SHC but the core config specifying from and server name port, etc... can only be specified via web ui on SHC (again AFAIK).

0 Karma

kmudigonda
Explorer

Not using Serach head cluster. btool on the search head gives me a only one instance of "from", that has right value -

C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\system\local\alert_actions.conf   
 [email]
 from = xxx@xxxxx.com
0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Some times the mail server will only accept emails on it's local domain, or from authenticated users, etc. You're not using your corporate email address when you use the sendemail command and then using a different from address in your alert_actions.conf are you?

example:

mailserver.xyz.com will happily receive & relay emails from "splunk@xyz.com" but not from "splunk@anotherdomain.com" and will spit out a invalid sender error.

Other times, you must authenticate with the server first. Although I see no reason why it would work with sendmail vs alert_actions UNLESS you were using different ones during testing which clearly you are not,... but sometimes i like to type what im thinking and hope it rings a bell on your end, etc....

0 Karma

kmudigonda
Explorer

you are right jkat54. I am using mailserver.xyz.com and email from as splunk@anotherdomain.com . I am able to use sendemail with exclusively putting in "from=splunk@anotherdomain.com" .
Its still a mistery why alerts_actions value is not being picked up by scheduled searches, alerts and also from Sendemail when from is not exclusively mentioned 😞
May be Sendemail is sending my authenticated information to the mail server opposed to alerts_actions. I will investigate in that direction

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you upgraded did you overwrite your Splunk direcotry or just copy it in. Example: cp newsplunk/* /opt/oldsplunk/

I'm curious if you have the old sendemail.py code because you didn't do a recursive copy cp -rf

0 Karma

kmudigonda
Explorer

we overwrote the Splunk directory with upgrade. we have new sendemail.py. Does the server require Java JRE for alert emails to work?

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you compare sendemail.py from new copy of splunk and your current one on the filesystem to see if they are the same size in bytes?

0 Karma

kmudigonda
Explorer

sendemail.py is of correct size. we opened a ticket with Splunk support. will update you on resolution details soon

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No, its python based when it sends email.

0 Karma

kmudigonda
Explorer

Yes. I tried using -
index=main | head 5 | sendemail to=xxxx server=xxxx subject="Here is an email notification" message="This is an example message" sendresults=true inline=true format=raw sendpdf=true

this throws error-
command="sendemail", (553, 'Invalid sender', 'splunk@searchheadservername') while sending mail to: xxx@xxx.xxx

But when I explicitly say from it sends email fine -

index=main | head 5 | sendemail to=xxxx server=xxxx from=yyyy subject="Here is an email notification" message="This is an example message" sendresults=true inline=true format=raw sendpdf=true

I did restart Splunk few times, after setting up the right "from" and email server values. I have to try btool yet.

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Also try setting the email properties from web ie, Settings -> Email settings and see if the values are updated or not?

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried sending it with specifying the server parameter in search itself?
After changing the values in the configuration , have you restarted splunk?
Can you try btool on the config file and see from where the value is being picked up?

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

kmudigonda
Explorer

i tried restart. btool on Searchhead server is showing the correct from value. Not sure why the Sendemail command is defaulting to a from that does not exist

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...