Alerting

Splunk Cron expressions not to trigger alert

sureshkumaar
Path Finder

Hi All,

I am looking for a cron expression NOT to trigger alert for a particular period of time on daily basis. Alert is scheduled to run for every 10 minutes.

1:00 AM to 1:15 AM

2:00 AM to 2:15 AM

Kindly help me.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

cron does not have a concept of "not".  It only specifies run times, not don't-run times.  If you can't craft a cron expression that excludes undesired times, then consider multiple searches with cron schedules that combine to cover the desired times.  For example:

0/10 0 * * * # Every 10 minutes during hour 0 

15-59/10 1,2 * * * # Every 10 minutes starting at x:15 during hours 1 and 2

0/10 3-23 * * * # Every 10 minutes for the remainder of the day

I use https://crontab.guru/ to test my cron strings.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

cron does not have a concept of "not".  It only specifies run times, not don't-run times.  If you can't craft a cron expression that excludes undesired times, then consider multiple searches with cron schedules that combine to cover the desired times.  For example:

0/10 0 * * * # Every 10 minutes during hour 0 

15-59/10 1,2 * * * # Every 10 minutes starting at x:15 during hours 1 and 2

0/10 3-23 * * * # Every 10 minutes for the remainder of the day

I use https://crontab.guru/ to test my cron strings.

---

sureshkumaar
Path Finder

Thank you very much @richgalloway i will check this in testing alert and let you know the updates

0 Karma

sureshkumaar
Path Finder

@richgalloway Thanks for the quick solution it worked good

0 Karma

sureshkumaar
Path Finder

@richgalloway  - Can i get cron expression for the alerts not to trigger on sunday from 12 AM - 8 AM alone?

i tried below but the alerts for remaining days it's not getting triggered as the cron expression is specifically for Sunday alone to not trigger from 12 AM - 8 AM.

10-59/10 08 * * 7

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As I said in my original reply, cron does not have a concept of "not".  It only specifies run times, not don't-run times.  If you can't describe the schedule in a single cron then you may need multiple instances of the alert with different cron expressions.

10-59/10 8-23 * * 7
10-59/10 * * * 1-6
---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...