Alerting

Realtime alert: How can I either write my search or throttle my alert triggers to only alert the first time Splunk sees one alert per unique field value?

xxkenta
Explorer

Hello

I am currently trying to write an alert for some Windows Event Log data on client machine BSODs. The problem here is that after the initial BSOD, windows will continue to create and log the same events again and again, just with a different "EventID" and "RecordNumber". However, I only care about the first time one of these events is logged with a unique field value for the field "Report_Id".

Is there a way I can either write my search or throttle my alert triggers to only alert the first time Splunk sees a new "Report_Id" value?

Will it work by doing a real-time search and just doing a dedup on the unique field?

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

dflodstrom
Builder

You can throttle alerts so that events with the same EventID, RecordNumber, and host value do not trigger future alerts for a timespan that you specify: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.0/Alert/ThrottleAlerts

You'd just have to specify the amount of time to throttle and the field names.

View solution in original post

dflodstrom
Builder

You can throttle alerts so that events with the same EventID, RecordNumber, and host value do not trigger future alerts for a timespan that you specify: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.0/Alert/ThrottleAlerts

You'd just have to specify the amount of time to throttle and the field names.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...