Alerting

Real time alerts triggered several days after

vikasphonsa

I have a an alert with settings shown below. Somehow I'm getting alert emails for events that happened many days ago, whereas I was expecting it to trigger ONLY for real time events. I have verified that the alerts trigger fine for real time events, but why did it trigger for older events. Any ideas ?

On April 21, I received an alert email for an event that happened on Sun Apr 15

Settings ( the ones I think are relevant ).

Time Range: Start time=rt, Finish Time=rt
Schedule and alert: Schedule this alert checked
Alert: Condition=always, Alert mode=Once per result, Throttling=enabled.

Thanks,
Vikas

Tags (2)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If you have timestamped your event incorrectly such that Splunk interprets it as having "happened in the future" then it will not age through your real-time window until well after it actually occurred. This is almost always a problem with TimeZones and you can get a good idea of what is happening (good or bad) with this search:

index=* | dedup date_zone splunk_server index host source | eval lagSecs=_time-_indextime | convert ctime(_indextime) as indextime| table _time indextime lagSecs date_zone splunk_server index host source

You are looking for sources where lagSecs<0 which indicate the types of events you are describing.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

It's available in the internal field _indextime. It won't show in searches because it's internal, so you'll have to use eval first to get it to show:

... | eval indextime=_indextime
0 Karma

vikasphonsa

Thanks for the respone.

How do I find when Splunk received the event ? Only timestamp I see on that entry is from a week ago.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

When did Splunk actually receive the event? Might it be that it's an event with an older timestamp, but that it arrived just now to Splunk?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...