Alerting

How to prevent duplicate alerts using field conditions and time?

PDXKiel
Path Finder

I have an alert that searches every 15 mins for the count of events >150 (|where Count>150) for the same routing prefix and merchant name. There are 6 fields we list in the results: Routing prefix, merchant ID, bank ID, merchant name, and merchant category code, and Count. I want to stop duplicate emails/alerts when it's for the same merchant category, bank ID, and merchant name that's already been alerted on in the past 8 hours. Is there an optimal way to build the search to do this or a way to setup the trigger conditions that would allow for this?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

PDXKiel
Path Finder

Just wanted to provide an update showing the solution I found with the help of a co-worker.

I did a count BY all the fields I wanted then I created a new field called uniqueID that is a md5 hash of the fields MERCHANTNAME, LOGO, MERCHANTID. Then I set the alert to send an email for each result and throttled it for 8 hours based on the new field "uniqueID" that way when the same combination of fields I wanted came out within 8 hours the md5 hash would be the same and no alert would trigger but if a new one came out we'd still get alerted because the md5 hash would change.

I'm also going to add another field called alertState that would still trigger if all of a sudden the count went above 1500 within that same 8 hour throttle. (| eval alertState=if(Count>1500, "OVER1500", "OVER150")) that I will add to the md5 conditions. Below is a sample of the search and I hope this helps someone else!~

index=card sourcetype=epoctd RESPCODE=77 RESPSOURCE=0
| lookup AnalystByLogo.CSV "LOGO" OUTPUT "AnalystName"
| stats count by LOGO, MERCHANTID, CARDACCEPTNAME, MERCHANTTYPE, ROUTINGPREFIX, AnalystName
| eval uniqueID=md5(MERCHANTID . LOGO . CARDACCEPTNAME)
| where Count>150

View solution in original post

PDXKiel
Path Finder

Just wanted to provide an update showing the solution I found with the help of a co-worker.

I did a count BY all the fields I wanted then I created a new field called uniqueID that is a md5 hash of the fields MERCHANTNAME, LOGO, MERCHANTID. Then I set the alert to send an email for each result and throttled it for 8 hours based on the new field "uniqueID" that way when the same combination of fields I wanted came out within 8 hours the md5 hash would be the same and no alert would trigger but if a new one came out we'd still get alerted because the md5 hash would change.

I'm also going to add another field called alertState that would still trigger if all of a sudden the count went above 1500 within that same 8 hour throttle. (| eval alertState=if(Count>1500, "OVER1500", "OVER150")) that I will add to the md5 conditions. Below is a sample of the search and I hope this helps someone else!~

| stats count by LOGO, MERCHANTID, CARDACCEPTNAME, MERCHANTTYPE, ROUTINGPREFIX, AnalystName
| eval uniqueID=md5(MERCHANTID . LOGO . CARDACCEPTNAME)
| where Count>150

damo66a
Explorer

this is a pretty good solution to something i am having experience with. 

how do you get the alert to recognise a different MD5 hash? i dont see anywhere in the settings of the alert that i can specify that (or i cant see the wood for the trees). 

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yep, bake all the logic into the alert with some conditional logic and have the output reflect each field. Then use a custom alert trigger for the output. It's impossible to help until I see your query

0 Karma

PDXKiel
Path Finder

Thanks, here is a basic version of the alert. I have a couple variations running for different scenarios but this is the simplest. So just to make sure since I have the specific field names now: I want to only alert one time in 8 hours if it's the same MERCHANTTYPE, LOGO, & MERCHANTID.

Thanks for your help!

| stats list(LOGO) as LOGO list(MERCHANTID) as MERCHANTNAME list(CARDACCEPTNAME) as MERCHANTID list(MERCHANTTYPE) as MCC Count by ROUTINGPREFIX, AnalystName
| where Count>150

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's gunna look something like this. I don't think my logic is right on the throttle field and its difficult to format this without having a Splunk search bar in front of me. But you get the jist, you're gunna have to massage that field and it should give you the right output

| bin _time span=8h
| stats list(LOGO) as LOGO list(MERCHANTID) as MERCHANTNAME list(CARDACCEPTNAME) as MERCHANTID list(MERCHANTTYPE) as MCC Count by ROUTINGPREFIX, AnalystName by _time
| eval throttle=now()-28800
| eval flag=if(Count>150 AND _time<throttle,1,0)
| where flag=1
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried throttling the alert?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

PDXKiel
Path Finder

No, because throttling is blanket for whole alert no matter the results. We still want the alert to trigger, just not for the same merchant category, bank ID, and merchant name.

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's possible to use SPL to throttle by field. Need to incorporate _time into your results then use an eval to flag results if they should be throttled. If the flag is set to false AND it results in a trigger condition then fire the alert

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I would swear there was a way to throttle by field, but I can't find it now.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...