Alerting

Only one alert needs to be triggered in the Alert Manager?

Mohanveera1
Explorer

Hello Splunkers,

I have switches from which the logs are getting ingested into splunk. So when the specific multiple interfaces are down it should trigger me only one alert. At present i am using the below query

index="switches"| spath Message 
|search Message="*Interface GigabitEthernet0/21 · ** Connected to AD Server ** for node DISTRIBUTION is Shutdown."
OR Message="Interface GigabitEthernet0/23 - Gi0/23 for node DISTRIBUTION is Shutdown."
OR Message="Interface GigabitEthernet0/24 - Gi0/24 for node DISTRIBUTION is Shutdown."
OR Message="*Interface GigabitEthernet0/22 · ** Connected to DHCP Server ** for node DISTRIBUTION is Shutdown."
|table _time Message Device_Name

Here when any one interface is down or multiple interface is down then the number of alert is getting triggered depending on the number of interfaces down. Now what i need is that if there are multiple interfaces down, it should raise only one alert in alert manager.  I have attached the screenshot of the alerts when the multiple interfaces are down.

Mohanveera1_0-1677747670008.png

Thanks in Advance..

Labels (4)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It sounds like the alert is configured to trigger for each result instead of once per run.

richgalloway_0-1677768653535.png

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

Mohanveera1
Explorer

Hello @richgalloway 

Thank you for the response and it helped me and i am seeing only one alert in alertmanager with the fields and i want to let you know that i have integrated ServiceNow with splunk also, so when this alert is getting triggered its raising an incident in the ServiceNow and in the incident description its only giving the first log message only, so is there any way to get all the logs messages into the ticket  description.

(In short: When the 4 interfaces are down the incident is created in servicenow with only first log mesage field. so is there any way to get all the message fields that are available in the alert in ServiceNow Incident)

The alert is configured in ServiceNow app as below mentioned Screenshot:

Mohanveera1_0-1677825997413.png

The incident raised in the ServiceNow screenshot:

Mohanveera1_1-1677826042557.png

Thanks in advance....

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The construct $result.foo$ always returns the first instance of the foo field.  Splunk does not provide a way to get all results, except via a link (which probably won't work with SNOW).

You may have to go back to having separate alerts for each device.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...