Alerting

Newly added Splunk alert action doesn't show in Alert

wendtb
Path Finder

I have just added 2 new alert actions in Splunk. I verified that the permissions on the alert action are read for everyone, and the app for that alert action is shared to everything. I am unable to see the alert actions in an alert that is already configured.

The alert actions are being distributed via deployment server to two search heads.

What am I missing?

0 Karma
1 Solution

wendtb
Path Finder

This was resolved with help from the Splunk slack channel.

I had to import the app into ES in order for the alert action to show up for ES alerts. This only applies to ES versions 5.2.2 or before.

Reference Document: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/5.2.2/Install/ImportCustomApps

View solution in original post

0 Karma

wendtb
Path Finder

This was resolved with help from the Splunk slack channel.

I had to import the app into ES in order for the alert action to show up for ES alerts. This only applies to ES versions 5.2.2 or before.

Reference Document: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/5.2.2/Install/ImportCustomApps

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

Are the search heads, standalone search heads? If it is Clustered, then Deployment-server is NOT the method to deploy apps to SHC

if it is standalone Search Heads, please run a btool on the Search Head to see if which app owns the alerts and ensure the permissions are correct in SH

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd btool alert_actions list --debug > /tmp/alert_actions.btool.txt

cheers

0 Karma

wendtb
Path Finder

What am I looking for in the alert_actions.conf that tells me which app owns the alerts? I don't see anything specifically referring to ownership.

These are also standalone search heads.

0 Karma

wendtb
Path Finder

I also tried direct install of the alert actions/app onto the Search Head, and I am having the same problem.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...