Alerting

New Real Time Alerts not working

yrajah
Explorer

Hello,

We have a number of real time alerts that are working fine (that are being generated by certain Active Directory events via the Universal Forwarder installed on the DC), but when I try to create any new real time alerts they do not seem to work; I am not receiving the email, and the Alert counter on the Searches and Reports page remains on 0. When I run the search manually for the last 15 minutes, I get results that I would expect, so the search parameters seem to be ok.

I even cloned a working rule, and created an event. The original alert triggered, but the new cloned one did not 😞

Tags (1)

jkeellogic
Explorer

Hey dudes.
I am fighting the same problems, but I do have some clues. Mine I beleive are related to LDAP so I don't know your environment but configured to LDAP can be and issue.
My real time alerts changed everytime I changed added more complex strings to LDAP.

I have other ideas about working around this but it takes time.

jim

0 Karma

yrajah
Explorer

I did have further problems with this, and I now believe I found the cause.

In my case I think it was simply because I had too many real time searches running, and was hitting my my limit. I believe that you can change the limit in limits.conf as long as your hardware is up to the job. I just cleaned up some stuff, and changed some real time searches/alerts to a daily report and have not had any issues since.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.3/Admin/Limitsconf

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.1/Search/Realtimeperformanceandlimitations

salem34
Path Finder

Thanks for pointing that out, idk if i ever thoght about limits here.

0 Karma

jtrucks
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are the newly created/cloned alerts owned by a different user? If so, does that user have a valid email address set?

--
Jesse Trucks
Minister of Magic
0 Karma

jtrucks
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You should post an answer that a reboot fixed it and then accept the answer. 🙂

--
Jesse Trucks
Minister of Magic
0 Karma

brettcave
Builder

nope, owned by my user. i have a valid email address. the alerts started working after a splunk server restart.

yrajah
Explorer

Hello,
I still get issues with real time alerting every now and then. The last one I had (maybe not exactly the same as this) was resolved by a restart of the splunk services. I would be interested to know if this fixes your problem?

0 Karma

brettcave
Builder

+1 - me too. alerts were working, and then modified the search. now they're not. I even deleted the search, recreated it, and still not getting results.

0 Karma

sd100
Explorer

Hello, Same issue here, i'm interested in the answer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...