Alerting

Modify e-mail alert output

evang_26
Communicator

Hello splunk users,

I am trying to modify the structure format of the e-mail alerts that I am receiving to XML or other other format. This would help me to be able to grab easier the required fields in order to automatically create tickets. For the time, configuration of alerts gives me a "table" in the email with fields such as user,number of failures and host.
So, sendemail.py is the file that sends the e-mail, however, the table does not seem to be structured inside that file nor the value of the variables. Hence, I cannot modify it from there, I think.

Are there any suggestions, or other proposals?

Thanks,
Evang

evang_26
Communicator

Well, I followed mdegann's instructions which proved to be right.I modified part of the generateHTMLResults(results) to initially change the look of the table. While after some modifications was working now it isn't. Forgive me for posting it as an answer, I couldn't psot code otherwise.

text += "<table>"
for col in cols:
      text += "<tr><th>" + col + "</th>"
      for result in results:
           val = result.get(col, "")
           escval = saxutils.escape(val)
           text += "<td>" + escval + "</td>"
      text += "</tr>\n"
text += "</table>"

Can you spot any flaw? I simply cannot trigger any alert now.

Thanks,
Evang

linu1988
Champion

Now it's upon you. No one has provided any simpler way to go with a scripted mailing. Everyone has done on their own.
The alert parameter "%SPLUNK_ARG_8%" which gives you a results.csv.gz can be extracted and manipulated to give you result you want. you can refer sendmail.py file to convert into html or you can take a look at the below. the logic will be the same using any of the language you know

_http://www.ctroms.com/blog/code/python/2011/04/20/csv-to-html-table-with-python/

evang_26
Communicator

Hi linu1988,

I cannot say that I am experienced programmer but I have some basic knowledge. I would like to write a simple script (although I imagine that it would be more like a copy) to accomplish my goal. However, I feel that I am going blindly. Is there any script that might be of help?

I read about the savedsearches.conf.example but is very basic. I don't know what the commands are for e-mailing nor how to get the search results. E.g is there any libraries that I have to import?
At last, I am only sure that I will copy the
generateHTMLResults(results) code to print them.

Thanks,
Evang

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

You get results are parameter in splunk, if you have idea in any scripting language you can extact it to csv file and manipulate and then send it to mail ids. Follow the steps

_http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Alert/Configuringscriptedalerts

0 Karma

evang_26
Communicator

Alright, it seems that is hard so I change my methodology.

I figure out that something re-formats what I write inside the generateHTMLResults(results) definition. I cannot find it, so I am thinking to create a script to run for me when an alert is triggered.

Do any of you know what should I copy paste into the script so as to get the "alert data" and send the e-mail?

Thanks,
Evang

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

HTML doesn't contain a line break "\n", you need to use "
". And be careful modifying the code, you are using python where indentation is a big issue. If you go into issues with missing mails monitor splunkd.log to see where exactly,yes the exact line number you can find from there.

0 Karma

evang_26
Communicator

def generateHTMLResults(results):

for result in results:
            text += ""
            for col in cols:
                val = result.get(col, "")
                escval = saxutils.escape(val)
                text +="|" + escval
            text += "\n"
return text</pre></code>

This code is part of the sendemail.py and part of the generateHTMLResults(results). I just excluded whatever had to do with table to make it only text. Everything works but line break.

What I am missing here????
Thanks,
Evang

0 Karma

evang_26
Communicator

Hi all,

Well the code works fine finally, the problem might be related with the intends or formatting. I am not sure, every time I delete a space or similar it just doesn't work.

mdegann,

I followed the link you gave me (which doesn't work for me), however I wish I could apply what you are saying but I am too novice for that staff.

However, I now have another problem as it seems that I cannot use the line break "\n".

Code is attached in the following comment.

Thanks,
Evang

0 Karma

mdegann
Explorer

you can use the sendemail command from Splunk which will give you an error level if your syntax is messed up. http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Sendemail.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

My HTML is a little rusty, but it looks like you are mixing header and data cell columns in the same row(s). I would use two for col in cols: loops - one to build the table header (<th>col</th>) and the second to loop through the results (<td>escval</td>...). Row tags (<tr></tr>) should go outside each loop.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

mdegann
Explorer

Ha. Finally an a question I have some experience with, there is a function in sendemail.py def generateHTMLResults(results):. Couple of things to note, len(Reults) = how many events made it into the alert. You can loop through results because its a list of results. Each result is a list of cols, and each column has a value. This should help you start formatting your HTML email.

evang_26
Communicator

Hi mdegann,

Thanks for noticing that. It is a couple of pages code and with my experience I wouldn't noticing that out without your help. I'll have an eye and I see what I can do. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks,
Evang

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...