Alerting

Linux monitor process state through process ID

JIrojas
Explorer

I have been trying to create an alert that triggers whenever the process ID of a process on linux is null. Because it is not sending data, I assume the process is not running, and if it has a process ID, it is running.

Working with telegraf:

| mstats latest(_value) AS value WHERE metric_name="procstat.pid" AND index="telegraf" AND process_name="<process_name>"  fillnull_value=0 span=5m BY host, process_name
| timechart latest(value) span=5m BY host
| fillnull <hostnames> value=0 | table _time,<hostnames>

Using the zero null values formatting, I can pinpoint exactly when the processes are on downtime. However, I couldn't find a way to alert when the host PID value is null (or =0 due to the fillnull function).

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Adding | where host=0 to the end of the query will filter the results to only those that are null/0.  Then have the alert trigger if you get any results.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

JIrojas
Explorer

The problem I face now is I only want to table the values that are = 0 to show it in the alert description notificacion, for example, when I send an email the moment the alert triggers:

| mstats latest(_value) AS value WHERE metric_name="procstat.pid" AND index="telegraf" AND process_name="PSBRKDSP" span=5m BY host, process_name
| timechart latest(value) span=5m BY host
| fillnull host1,host2,host3,host4 value=0
| where host1=0 OR host2=0 OR host3=0 OR host4=0
| table _time,host1,host2,host3,host4

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't know a way to show only the fields that are zero.

---
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Adding | where host=0 to the end of the query will filter the results to only those that are null/0.  Then have the alert trigger if you get any results.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...