Alerting

Linux monitor process state through process ID

JIrojas
Explorer

I have been trying to create an alert that triggers whenever the process ID of a process on linux is null. Because it is not sending data, I assume the process is not running, and if it has a process ID, it is running.

Working with telegraf:

| mstats latest(_value) AS value WHERE metric_name="procstat.pid" AND index="telegraf" AND process_name="<process_name>"  fillnull_value=0 span=5m BY host, process_name
| timechart latest(value) span=5m BY host
| fillnull <hostnames> value=0 | table _time,<hostnames>

Using the zero null values formatting, I can pinpoint exactly when the processes are on downtime. However, I couldn't find a way to alert when the host PID value is null (or =0 due to the fillnull function).

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Adding | where host=0 to the end of the query will filter the results to only those that are null/0.  Then have the alert trigger if you get any results.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

JIrojas
Explorer

The problem I face now is I only want to table the values that are = 0 to show it in the alert description notificacion, for example, when I send an email the moment the alert triggers:

| mstats latest(_value) AS value WHERE metric_name="procstat.pid" AND index="telegraf" AND process_name="PSBRKDSP" span=5m BY host, process_name
| timechart latest(value) span=5m BY host
| fillnull host1,host2,host3,host4 value=0
| where host1=0 OR host2=0 OR host3=0 OR host4=0
| table _time,host1,host2,host3,host4

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't know a way to show only the fields that are zero.

---
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Adding | where host=0 to the end of the query will filter the results to only those that are null/0.  Then have the alert trigger if you get any results.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...