Alerting

How would I be able to exclude source_ip and destination_ip combination?

Splunk77
Explorer

I have a look up table with two columns. They are for source IP and destination IP addresses. I want to be able to search for firewall traffic logs and filter out any source IP and destination IP combination from the results.

The following query allows for excluding source_ip from the lookup table. How would I be able to exclude source_ip and destination_ip combination?

index=firewall sourcetype=<source_type> NOT [ | inputlookup test.csv

table source_ip] 

| table _time, source_ip, destination_ip, action, protocol 

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you read from the lookup file, include both the source and destination IP addresses.  The trick then is to use the format command to build a search string in the form (src_ip=1.2.3.4 AND dest_ip=5.6.7.8).  It's important to ensure the field names returned by the subsearch match field names available in the main search.

fields source_ip destination_ip | format maxresults=0 ] 

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When you read from the lookup file, include both the source and destination IP addresses.  The trick then is to use the format command to build a search string in the form (src_ip=1.2.3.4 AND dest_ip=5.6.7.8).  It's important to ensure the field names returned by the subsearch match field names available in the main search.

fields source_ip destination_ip | format maxresults=0 ] 

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...