Alerting

How to use rex to extract a value and use it as an alert condition MS SQL Audit

rob_gibson
Path Finder

I think I'm close on this, but I'm missing something;

I have events forwarding to my indexer from MS SQL Audit via WinEventLog:Application. A number of fields are not being automatically extracted, so I'm relying on rex to pull out the values I need for an alert. There is a large, multi-line field called "Message" which contains all the values I need. Within "Message" are other values like object_name, database_name, user_name, etc. I have no trouble pulling the values I need into a search and creating a table, but I'm not clear how to use a rex-returned value as a condition to trigger an alert.

The alert is only required if object_name:table1 or object_name:table2. Also if the "statement value is alter or create or delete, etc.

Partial Search String (outputs values to a table - not shown)

index=SQLAUDIT ComputerName=SERVER12 | search Message statement:alter OR statement:create OR statement:delete OR statement:drop OR statement:exec OR statement:insert OR statement:select OR statement:update | eval "Date - Time"=strftime(_time,"%F - %T") | rex "object_name:(?<TableID>.*)" | rex "statement:(?<AlertType>.+?)[\r]" | rex "database_name:(?<DBN>.*)" 

Data Sample

Message=Audit event: event_time:2017-06-14 12:58:53.7376885
        sequence_number:1
        action_id:SL  
        succeeded:true
        permission_bitmask:1
        is_column_permission:true
        session_id:79
        server_principal_id:2
        database_principal_id:0
        target_server_principal_id:0
        target_database_principal_id:0
        object_id:1201906778
        class_type:U 
    session_server_principal_name:DOMAIN\USER1234
    server_principal_name:DOMAIN\USER1234
    server_principal_sid:010500000000000567890093a2a241345661e2f43170a32821c0000
    database_principal_name:public
    target_server_principal_name:
    target_server_principal_sid:
    target_database_principal_name:
    server_instance_name:SERVER12\DBMSSQL
    database_name:DB_NAME1
    schema_name:db19
    object_name:table_1
    statement:select top 100 a.* , b.*
    from tableClosed a,
         table_1 b
    where a.flngAccountKey = b.flngAccountKey 
    and a.fstrCaseType = 'TRPHD'
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I always do ALL of my thresholding logic inside of my search and the use Number of results and is greater than 0 for the alert threshold. So you would just add something like this to the end of your search:

| search (object_name:table1="*" OR object_name:table2="*") AND (statement="alter" OR statement="create" OR statement="delete")

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I always do ALL of my thresholding logic inside of my search and the use Number of results and is greater than 0 for the alert threshold. So you would just add something like this to the end of your search:

| search (object_name:table1="*" OR object_name:table2="*") AND (statement="alter" OR statement="create" OR statement="delete")

rob_gibson
Path Finder

That's close enough for an "Accept" woodcock!

My search didn't like the "*" you added, and I'm unclear of the function.

What I did was;

| search (object_name:table1 OR object_name:table2) AND (statement:alter OR statement:create OR statement:delete OR statement:drop OR statement:exec OR statement:insert OR statement:select OR statement:update)

The resulting table included only the hits, which is exactly what I wanted. It created a conditional alert. Bravo!

Many thanks

horsefez
Motivator

Hi,

your usage of the rex command is faulty.
The right syntax for the rex command is:
| rex field=<fieldname> "<regular-expression>"

in your case for example:
| rex field=object_name "(?<TableID>.*)"

Additionally try this command

| rex field=Message "(?:database_name:)(?<database_name>.+)(?:[\r\n\S\s]+?)(?:object_name\:)(?<object_name>.+)(?:[\r\n\S\s]+?)(?:statement:)(?<statement>.+)"

https://regex101.com/r/9GE7Iu/2

0 Karma

rob_gibson
Path Finder

Thank you for your reply.

The rex command I am running does return the value I want, so I'm not sure why you say it is faulty. What I'm unclear on is how to use it as a condition.

I did not get any results using the example you provided, sorry.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI rob.gibson,
I'm not sure to have understood your request: do you need to create an alert when there is object_name:table1 or there is object_name:table2 or is present the string "statement value is alter or create or delete"?

try with

index=SQLAUDIT ComputerName=SERVER12 
| search Message statement:alter OR statement:create OR statement:delete OR statement:drop OR statement:exec OR statement:insert OR statement:select OR statement:update 
| eval "Date - Time"=strftime(_time,"%F - %T") 
| rex "object_name:(?<TableID>.*)" 
| rex "statement:(?<AlertType>.+?)[\r]" 
| rex "database_name:(?<DBN>.*)" 
| search object_name:table1=* or object_name:table2=*

then put the alert condition to result > 0
that means that there are results to your search

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

rob_gibson
Path Finder

My laptop has been out of commission for a while, apologies for the delay in responding.

To clarify, I need an alert that is triggered for ANY of those statement: conditions, but only where object_name:table1 or table2.

I tried your suggestions but got zero results (where I know that 4 exist within the search time frame.)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...