Alerting

How to trigger an alert based on the number of rows in the "Statistics" tab?

dwh_splunk
Explorer

I have a saved search, that starts with a dbquery | dbquery, then does some transformations and ends with a collect statement.

When I run this search manually, there are resulting events and all results go to the "Statistics" tab.
I want to monitor, if indeed data was collected by my saved search.

This does not do the trick:

counttype = number of events
quantity = 1
relation = less than

simply because there are no resulting events.

Is there a way to trigger an alert based on the number of rows in the "Statistics" tab?

0 Karma

mcronkrite
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

When you run the Splunk Search that you want an alert for go to the top right and save as. There is an option for Save as Alert. The options include the count of the rows and lots of other options.

Here is an example:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.3/Alert/Alertexamples

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Passing events to the collect command does not destroy the events so you can just tack this on to the end of your search and trigger off of count:

... | stats count
0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your search ends with collect - those results go somewhere else.

Can you write another search that queries the summary index over the appropriate time span to get your statistics?

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is there any way you could paste the search itself?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Which version of splunk you're using?

0 Karma

dwh_splunk
Explorer

version 6.1.1

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...