Alerting

How to throttle or Suppress email alerts for multiple rows in result

sutom
Path Finder

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this place and this is my first query, looking for your help.

I have a use-case where I am trying to set an alert and make it dynamic based on the SLP query result, my recipient list is constant. but Alert is not working as I expected. I went through a lot of links and Splunk docs but still, I am in middle.

My requirement is to send the alert for every row from the result based on status and src(host IP) but I am receiving an alert only for the first row from the result.

Here is the query -

index=dummy uri_path
| stats count(eval(status>399)) as Error_Count by uri_path, status,user_name, src | where Error_Count > 0

Result -

uri_pathstatususer_namesrcError_count
/user/new400XXX123.21.321.121
/user/show404YYY321.12.32.211

My Alert Subject -

$result.status$ Error while access API for User $result.user_name$

My Message -

$result.status$ Error got observed while access API $result.uri_path$ with user $result.user_name$ on host $result.src$.
For more info please click on below link

My alert subject and message is getting update based on the result but I am constantly getting Alert for first row from result  - Splunk Alert: 400 Error while access API for User XXX. which is correct for first row

Some configuration in alert -

Alert type - Crone sachedule for 15 minutes,

Cron Expression - */15 * * * * , Expire - 24 hour

Trigger alert when - is greater then 0, Trigger - for each result.

Throttle - yes

Suppress results containing field value - src=$result.src$,

Suppress triggering for - 20-minutes

Still I am getting alert for first row from result,Not sure what I am missing here to get other rows alerts. If you can see I have suppressed based on src and in result SRC is different for both the rows. so based on this I should get both alerts but I am not.

Can anyone please help me to understand this, I want to send the alert based on status and src, if any new status + src combination come in result then it should send the result wether it is on first row in result or sencond row in result. 

Hope I am able to express my query.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

hoaxm3
Path Finder

I think it might be your suppression. You are saying when the src=$result.src$. Maybe try only suppressing off of "src" as the suppression will suppress the value for the specified field, you would not need to specify the value of suppression. Suppression = src. 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

hoaxm3
Path Finder

I think it might be your suppression. You are saying when the src=$result.src$. Maybe try only suppressing off of "src" as the suppression will suppress the value for the specified field, you would not need to specify the value of suppression. Suppression = src. 

0 Karma

sutom
Path Finder

Thanks @hoaxm3 it worked out, Now I am able to Suppression = src,uri_path,status with three field and getting result as expected.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...