Alerting

How to setup email alerts when linux servers are 80% full?

mike000

As always I know you will be able to answer my question.
So using this query:

index=_nix_xxxx sourcetype=df host=abdhw003 OR host=n OR host=n OR host=n or host=n MountedOn="/doc"
 | eval TotalGBytes= TotalMBytes/1024 | eval UsedGBytes=UsedMbytes/1024 |eval used_pct=100(UsedGBytes/TotalGBytes) 
 | stats max(TotalGBytes) as "MaxSize(GB) max(UsedGBytes) as "UsedSize(GB) as "percentUsed" by host, MountedOn 
 | search PercentUsed>05| Sort PercentUsed

I am able to see the space used by each server, is there a way wherein the dashboard once any server hits 80% or 90% used- the color of that server changes to red and an email is triggered to the support team that a certain server has reached 90% capacity?

Is that a query or something to be parameterized in the dashboard itself? Trying to understand Splunk, I appreciate all the help.

Thanks,
Mike

Labels (2)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Something like this:

index="_nix_xxxx " AND sourcetype="df" 
| stats avg(PercentUsedSpace) AS avgPctUsed BY host Filesystem 
| eval threshold = case( 
   match(Filesystem, "foo"), 85, 
   true(), 90) 
| where avgPctUsed > threshold
| sort 0 - avgPctUsed 
0 Karma

mike000

Hi woodcock, thanks for your reply. If I may ask, What will this do? Does this part just change the color or send email trigger? I cant see either in the snippet.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Just save it as an alert, add the alert action of email, done.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...