Alerting

How to set up an alert to trigger every hour, until a report returns a result of 10 events?

kvkarumanchi
Engager

Hi All,

I have a report where the result is at max 10 events. I want to set an alert for every one hour until it reaches the max count.

In the following image, if the first alert event count is 10, then the remaining alerts should not trigger.

alt text

Any help can be appreciated.

Thanks!
V Karumanchi

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Seems like you have set it up on Cron scheduling. While you can also setup hourly alert though cron schedule, there is already an option to Run every hour. Try editing the Alert Type and change Schedule. (Possibly run every hour for last 60 minutes, however, depends on your use case).

Cron will give you more flexibility like run every hour between 9 AM to 5 PM only on Weekdays etc. However, for your question you can also set cron expression as 0 */1 * * *.

I don't think you require a Throttle once you have setup alert to trigger hourly. However, Throttle is in place in Splunk to snooze alert for specific period once it has already triggered so that multiple alerts can be avoided to take and complete actionable items for alert already triggered.

lguinn2
Legend

In your alert actions, you can configure suppression. This controls how often you receive notifications. You could also adjust the frequency of the search schedule itself.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...