Alerting

How to join two search with event count?

Vasu1
Explorer

I want to create an alert if any of the files are missing, a description printout for that. But this search only gives me one event although it should give me two. In a nutshell, the second part after append is not working. Individual search work.  Please guide. It would be greatly appreciated. 

index = axway abc@gmail.com *INCL* | stats count by host | where count = 0
| eval description="File1 INCL Missing"
|table description | append [search index = axway abc@gmail.com *POD* | stats count | where count = 0
| eval description="File2 POD Missing"
|table description]

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

It is working for me as is (Splunk v8.2.4)

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 4.04.02 PM.png

View solution in original post

Vasu1
Explorer

I need to add another part before this search to make it work, but it works the way I want. Thanks for the response guys. 

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your search makes no sense, you cannot do

index = axway abc@gmail.com *INCL* 
| stats count by host 
| where count = 0 

as this will always give you 0 results. Think about it - if you have 100 events for 2 hosts A and B then count by host will give you a count for hosts A and B. It can never give you a count for host C which has no data, so you can never get 0 for host C

If you are trying to find out if, for hosts A, B and C whether there is an event, then you need to have all your expected hosts in a lookup file and do something like

| stats count by host 
| inputlookup append=t my_list_of_hosts
| stats values(count) as count by host
| fillnull count value=0
| where count = 0 
| table description 

this will prove the negative for the first check. Then you can do this for the second one - but you could also combine this to a single search if the hosts are the same.

Hope this helps.

0 Karma

Vasu1
Explorer
index = axway abc@gmail.com *INCL* | stats count | where count = 0
|table description | append [search index = axway abc@gmail.com *POD* | stats count | where count = 0
|table description]

Very much appreciate your reply. It should not be counted by the host. I apologize for that. Above is the search I am trying to search. All I am trying to do is combine search to alert us if any of the POD and INCL file is missing, and print the description for that search. 

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Odd, it should work. If you run this

| stats count 
| append [
  search index = axway abc@gmail.com *POD* 
  | stats count 
]

does it show you both rows with the count of results for each?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Above search should be working. Is it not working for you?

Vasu1
Explorer

Individual search work, but not combined. When I combined only the first one of the event pops up(first part of search), not the second. 

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

It is working for me as is (Splunk v8.2.4)

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 4.04.02 PM.png

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...