Alerting

How to get the Trigger Time to appear in 24 hour format in alert emails?

pchadwick
Explorer

I've set up an alert to send an email and all works well. I have ticked "Trigger Time" to be included in the email. How do I get the Trigger time to appear in 24 hour format as it currently isn't?

Trigger time in the alert email always appears like this:

"Trigger Time:  11:30:11 on May 03, 2016."  

My users have complained that they want it in 24 hour format. How do I do this?

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ok so first and foremost, HI and welcome to the forum.

2ndly please proceed with caution regarding the solution i'm about to give you as it is a "hack" It will not be supported, it will not persist after upgrades, and therefore you'll have to make the change after every upgrade, and you should make a backup of this file first, etc.

If you look at this file:
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/bin/sendemail.py

In my copy on line 235 i have this:

ssContent['trigger_timeHMS'] = time.strftime("%I:%M:%S", triggerSeconds)

It's part of a bigger code block seen below:

ssContent['trigger_date'] = None
    ssContent['trigger_timeHMS'] = None
    ssContent['trigger_time'] = argvals.get('trigger_time')
    if normalizeBoolean(ssContent['trigger_time']):
        try:
            triggerSeconds = time.localtime(float(ssContent['trigger_time']))
            ssContent['trigger_date'] = time.strftime("%B %d, %Y", triggerSeconds)
            ssContent['trigger_timeHMS'] = time.strftime("%I:%M:%S", triggerSeconds)
        except Exception, e:
            logger.error(e)

If you change the %I to %H as shown below... this will give you 24h (zero padded format... aka 01... 09, 10,11...24). You might have more requests around this... i suggest this site for reference: http://strftime.org/

ssContent['trigger_timeHMS'] = time.strftime("%H:%M:%S", triggerSeconds)

Cheers and best of luck,
Jkat54

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...