Alerting

How to generate an alert when the password does not contain any special characters?

Kk
Path Finder

Hi All, Any idea on how to generate an alert when the password does not contain any special characters?

Like when ever in my data the password is of only in plain text format, I should generate an alert.

I'm a newbie,Please help out with the query.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (5)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Kk,

if you have a field that contains the password (called e.g. "password", you could try something like this:

your_search
| rex field=password "(?<check>\W)"
| eval status=if(isnull(check),"yes","not")
| where status="yes"

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Kk,

if you have a field that contains the password (called e.g. "password", you could try something like this:

your_search
| rex field=password "(?<check>\W)"
| eval status=if(isnull(check),"yes","not")
| where status="yes"

Ciao.

Giuseppe

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Kk,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could use rex to extract from the field the non-special characters e.g. [a-zA-Z0-9] and compare that to the original field and if they are the same, then there are no special characters present.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...