Alerting

How to create a single alert to trigger only when a threshold is passed by a single index, not all indexes combined?

khagan
Path Finder

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to write an alert, covering all indexes, that triggers when a specific number (say, 50) of events occur. However, I only want the alert to trigger if all 50 events are in the same index, not, for example, 40 in one index and 10 in another. Is there a way to specify this in the search string, or would I need to have a different alert for each index?

0 Karma

sover
Engager

Hi khagan, you can do:

<your search> | stats count by index

And then through the gui (or savedsearches), you can make a custom alert to only trigger when one of the counts is > 50, but still display all of the counts.

alt text

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Will something like this would work

| tstats count WHERE index=* by index | where count>50
0 Karma

Federica_92
Communicator

the problem is that this query return only the number of every index, if it's higher than 50, I need something like:

sourcetype=windows  EventId=X status=Y earliest=-5m | stats count by EventID | where count>5 | search tstats count WHERE index=* by index|  where count>0

Basically I need to execute the first part of the query, for all the indexes, but I need to display separate results for each of the indexes.
Is it possible?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...