Alerting

How to correlate Windows security logs in indexA with IN/OUT status of users in indexB and alert if a user logs in to their workstation with an OUT status?

cbr654
Path Finder

Hello,

I ready thru some documentation, but I need a nudge in the right direction. I have an index that has information on when a user is IN or OUT of the office. I would like to be alerted when someone logs into their workstation when the are OUT of the office. My Windows security logs are in a different index than my logs that contain IN/OUT status. I am a bit confused on if I should begin with "transaction" or subsearches. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I would use streamstats like this:

(index=A other filters to get IN/OUT time) OR (index=B other filter to get Windows sercurity logs) | reverse | streamstats current=t latest(userStatusFieldThatIsEitherInOrOut) AS lastStatus by userIdField | where lastStatus="Out" AND EventCode="LoginCode"
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See the transaction command herer
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.0/SearchReference/Transaction

What you need (IMO) is that find events grouping (transactions) which will start when user is out of office and ends when someone logs in the work station. You can correlate both the logs (in different index) like this

(index=A other filters to get IN/OUT time) OR (index=B other filter to get Windows sercurity logs) | transaction YourCommondField startswith="condition for OUT" endswith="condition for someone logged in"
0 Karma

cbr654
Path Finder

thank you. Let me try to get this working. I will report back

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...