Alerting

How to configure Splunk custom alert?

devdattajogleka
Explorer

Hello,

I am configuring a custom splunk alert. My search query is as follows

| dbxquery connection="FFconed_feTenant" query="select count(file_name) as file_count, DATE_FORMAT(created_at,\"%m/%d/%y %W\") as date from ida_files_inventory
where created_at > Date_sub(Curdate(), INTERVAL 30 Day) and created_at < Curdate() group by DATE_FORMAT(created_at,\"%m/%d/%y %W\")" | fields file_count,date |where file_count<100 | chart
avg(file_count) as avg_count

I want to send an alert when the file_count is less than 0.95*avg_count or greater than 1.5*avg_count
So can I configure a custom alert with condition "search file_count < (0.95*avg_count) OR file_count > (1.5*avg_count)"

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use eventstats rather than chart to get the average in each event and then use a where command to find the events which are outside the bounds

View solution in original post

0 Karma

devdattajogleka
Explorer

Actually I want to take average of all 'file_count's which are less than 100. Thats why I have applied where condition first.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am not suggesting you remove that where command, I am suggesting you replace the chart with an eventstats and another where command

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use eventstats rather than chart to get the average in each event and then use a where command to find the events which are outside the bounds

0 Karma

devdattajogleka
Explorer

Yeah got that. Alert is working. Thank you so much.

I want to add one more condition to it. The alert should the include the file_count's of last week only. I used following query for that.

| dbxquery connection="FFconed_feTenant" query="select count(file_name) as file_count, DATE_FORMAT(created_at,\"%m/%d/%y %W\") as date from ida_files_inventory
where created_at > Date_sub(Curdate(), INTERVAL 30 Day) and created_at < Curdate() group by DATE_FORMAT(created_at,\"%m/%d/%y %W\")" | fields file_count,date | where file_count<100 | eventstats  avg(file_count) as avg_count | where file_count < (avg_count*0.875) or file_count > (avg_count*1.125) | fields file_count,date | where date > relative_time(now(), "-7d@d")

Used "-w" instead of  "-7d@d" Also tried using strftime by specifying date format, using 'earliest' time modifier but the query does not yeild any result whereas it should. Please suggest a solution.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I suspect date is coming back as a string from dbxquery, therefore you need to parse that into an epoch time so you can compare it with the value returned by relative_time() - try something like this

| where strptime(date,"%m/%d/%y %W") > relative_time(now(), "-7d@d")
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...