Alerting

How to achieve a search to detect a file deletion in fileserver?

msiri
Observer

Hello everyone and thanks in advance.

I'm trying to make a search for file deletion but it isn't working.

Do you have any example of a use case? I tested using sysmon but when I delete a file I can't see event 23.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

BryantRivera

Assuming you are using a Windows OS you could:

1) Enable security auditing for files/folders (this is done within the windows OS, can be enabled via group policy)
2) Use SplunkUniversalForwarder to monitor the Event Log for events 4660 & 4663 (see Splunk: Monitor file system changes on Windows)

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @msiri,

at first you have to enable file monitoring on the File Server, but I don't know hot to do it.

Then, you'll have these information in the WinEventLog:Security  and you can search it: I don't know the EventCode, but you can ask it to the Windows Administator.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...