Alerting

How do you manage an existing alert?

johnsmithcy
Path Finder

q1. How do you manage an existing alert?

q2. If I want to create an alert for when a Windows log is in fail, how do I make it? ( the search criteria is difficult to handle)

0 Karma

johnsmithcy
Path Finder

eventtype="wineventlog_common" source="inEventLog:" (host="" OR ComputerName="") TaskCategory="" SourceName="" EventCode="4625" Type="*" * TaskCategory="登入"

I saved above search code as alert , but no alert generated when "4625" event happended

0 Karma

chrisyounger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

q1: You can find the alerts in your system by going to "Settings" > "Searches, Reports and Alerts". From this list, you should set Type, App and Owner filters to "All" so you can find your alerts. Now you can edit, enable and disable the alert.

To learn more about alerts, watch this quick youtube video made by the Splunk Education team:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0REbozaALX0

q2: There is a sample search included in Splunk Security Essentials https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3435/ which has a basic search for detecting brute force login attempts. This is starting search you could try and use:

index=* (source=win*security OR sourcetype=linux_secure OR tag=authentication) user=* user!=""  
| stats count(eval(action="success")) as successes count(eval(action="failure")) as failures by src dest 
| where successes>0 AND failures>100
0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

HI,

1. To manage your existing alerts klick on settings->Searches, reports, and alerts-> set "Type" to Alert and app to "ALL"

2. For failed loggins have a look at this: http://static1.squarespace.com/static/552092d5e4b0661088167e5c/t/56b36b4d3c44d86cf33341ca/1454598990...

Suggestion here is

index=windows LogName=Security EventCode=4625| table _time, Workstation_Name, Source_Network_Address, 
host, Account_Name

Also have a try with that, if the above is not enough

index=yourindex
 sourcetype="WinEventLog:Security" 
 EventCode=4625
 |fillnull value=NULL
 | eval Account_Name = mvindex(Account_Name,1) 
 | eval Security_ID = mvindex(Security_ID,1) 
 | eval LoginType=case(Logon_Type=3,"RPC (not RDP)",Logon_Type=4,"Batch",Logon_Type=5,"Service",Logon_Type=7,"Screen Unlock/Session Resume",Logon_Type=10,"Remote Desktop",Logon_Type=11,"Cached",Logon_Type=9,"New Credentials")
 |stats count(Security_ID) as "Login Events" by Security_ID, Account_Name, LoginType,host,_time  |sort + Security_ID
0 Karma

johnsmithcy
Path Finder

eventtype="wineventlog_common" source="inEventLog:" (host="" OR ComputerName="") TaskCategory="" SourceName="" EventCode="4625" Type="" TaskCategory="登入"

I saved above search code as alert , but no alert generated when "4625" event happended

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...