Alerting

How do I pass event arguments to scripts run in response to Splunk alerts?

Alan_Bradley
Path Finder

When I configure a script in Splunk to run when an alert fires, how I can pass event arguments ( node name, message, etc) to the script?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

matt
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Configure scripted alerts with savedsearches.conf. Use the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/README/savedsearches.conf.example as an example, or create your own savedsearches.conf.

Complete documentation on the subject can be found here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0/Alert/Configuringscriptedalerts

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To send non-fixed information to an alert, you must write your alert script to open the results file. The results file path is by default is argument number 8, and is in CSV format. Your script can open and parse out results from this file.

tsatsost
Engager

and where is that file?

0 Karma

jcott28
Explorer

The first answer shows how to create alerts, not how to have the scripted alert pass in event arguments. i.e. hostname, message, etc. Splunk appears to pass in the 8 arguments in the documentation, but doesn't allow you to include additional information.

If I have an alert that is trigger, and part of the search that triggers the alert is host="MYMACHINE*", it would be great to know in the alert which MYMACHINE# the alert was found on. Is there a way to do that?

0 Karma

matt
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Configure scripted alerts with savedsearches.conf. Use the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/README/savedsearches.conf.example as an example, or create your own savedsearches.conf.

Complete documentation on the subject can be found here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0/Alert/Configuringscriptedalerts

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...