Alerting

How do I delete an index with an alert action?

achrysou

Hello,

I would like to have an alert that would search index "A" , and if the threshold is X , it would delete indexB where fieldA=Z

How do I do this?

I tried with splunk_search alert action add on, but doesn't seem to support the | delete in the search to be performed.

Thanks,
Andreas

0 Karma

achrysou

So after digging more, it looks like the "| delete" works only on a scheduled search and not in alert.
So instead of alert I use scheduled Report to delete the relevant data in the index.
To fulfill my scenario I had to create also one additional alert that would store the id to be deleted in a custom dedicated index (because the query required could not support delete).

0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

I haven't mucked with that alert action, but out of curiosity, does the user running the search have the can_delete role / the delete_by_keyword privilege? (otherwise | delete in a search will fail...)

Also could you expand more on your usecase... I'm really curious as to your use case as this seems like a rather interesting workflow where you seem to be attempting to maintain state in an index, which might actually be better suited to being in a lookup of some kind....

0 Karma

achrysou

So the use case is the following:
I have a log that reports the values timestamp and CPU.
I have an alert for critical when value is more than 90 (Critical_CPU).
I use the alert manager add-on to index the alerts generated in an index named alert.
So I want to create an alert for Normal, where CPU < 90, that if is triggered it will delete any data in alert index where title=Critical_CPU.
Like this I can auto-acknowledge an alert if threshold is back to the normal.

0 Karma

achrysou

my testing user has power & admin role

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...