Alerting

How do I create an alert that is triggered if a source type exists in a lookup table?

soumyacharya91
Path Finder

I want to create an alert that triggers when a source type doesn't exist in a lookup table (e.g. srctype.csv). But I'm not sure how to create the search string for this. The fields I'm using in the srctype.csv lookup table is source type as follows:

If the source type matches a source type listed in the table, the alert should triggered. Any help on how to do this are much appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

KailA
Contributor

Hello :),

You can try something like that :

index=foo 
| stats count by sourcetype
| inputlookup append=true srctype.csv
| where count > 1

That should return you the sourcetype present in the index AND in the lookup
Let me know.

KailA

View solution in original post

KailA
Contributor

Hello :),

You can try something like that :

index=foo 
| inputlookup append=true srctype.csv
| where count > 1

That should return you the sourcetype present in the index AND in the lookup
Let me know.

KailA

soumyacharya91
Path Finder

Thanks,

This code have done the job with a minor change, i.e |where count=1. using this we can get all the remaining fields which are not available.

0 Karma

KailA
Contributor

I thought you wanted the sourcetype present in the index and the lookup but glad that help you 🙂

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

Please try below query ,

index=foo |stats count by sourcetype|join type=outer sourcetype [|inputlookup srctype.csv| eval x=1] | where isnull(x)

This will give you all sourcetype from index foo and the field x with value 1 wherever the lookup has sourcetype else the value of x will be null if the particular sourcetype does not exist in lookup.

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

without knowing the dataset for sourcetypes you're looking at, something like this might work:

index=foo |stats count by sourcetype|join sourcetype [|inputlookup srctype.csv]

and alert if the results are greater than 0

0 Karma

soumyacharya91
Path Finder

Actually I need the values which are not matched from the lookup table.

In this query I think, It is matching and publishing the result of current match instead of the values which are not matched with the lookup table. I need to trigger the alert if that not match is present only.

I tried below query also but I'm getting the same result as yours.

index=foo
| lookup srctype.csv sourcetype OUTPUT sourcetype as sourcetype

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...