Alerting

How do I configure a scheduled alert to send an email ONLY when there is an update to a lookup table?

gibronda
Explorer

I have the lastModifiedTime from the lookup table using the rest command, but can't figure out how to define the trigger condition when I select Custom. I've tried search count >0 AND lastModifiedTime < (now() - 900) with no success.

0 Karma

alemarzu
Motivator

Hello there, try adding this eval at the end of your query, | eval action_var=if(lastModifiedTime < (now() - 900), "1", "0") then add this as the custom condition where action_var=="1"

0 Karma

gibronda
Explorer

I verified the value is set for action_var, but where action_var=="1" doesn't cause the email to generate. I also tried setting the value without the quotes (data type?) and updating where action_var==1, with no success. Either the email generates every time the alert runs or never (if I select Throttle with number of results greater than 0). I'm using a lookup table that houses issues for two groups. My goal is to generate an email when a new issue is added, based on severity. Reminders going out based on status every 4 hours for severity and MWF at 8 am for non priority work fine.

0 Karma

gibronda
Explorer

action_var="1" does what I need, but I'm finding emails are generated when there are no results. I need to suppress these empty emails using the custom condition. Adding action_var="1" count > 0 causes the alert to not send emails when there are records. I would think the count would be exposed for my use. What am I missing?

0 Karma

alemarzu
Motivator

Trigger condition should be action_var="1" AND count > 0 you are missing the boolean operator that could be the reason why its not alerting after the change.

Do you mind sharing your query and alert configuration ?

0 Karma

gibronda
Explorer

This has been resolved. The problem was I didn't have Count in the columns returned. After adding the count, it works properly. I had tried using AND previously, but without the count, the condition was never met. Thanks.

0 Karma

alemarzu
Motivator

Oh I see. Good job!

0 Karma

sbbadri
Motivator

can you post full query.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...