Alerting

How can I get alert tokens inserted in one of the eight "run a script" variables?

woodsob

I am using both the email and the "run a script" methods of passing alert info to other products or people. I have info stored in the alert description field that is used for alert escalation. I can pass that in the body of the email by inserting the token $description$. I need to be able to get the description into one of the 8 variables that are passed to the script when it is run to pass it to my enterprise message console. How can I do that? I am already using SNMP successfully, but the 8 variables do not contain the description of the alert.

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

I don't know the official method, but you could try a hacky way.

Put eval description="My description" into the search string, then in your script get the description out with echo $SPLUNK_ARG_2 | sed -e 's/.*description=\(.*\)/\1/'

Assuming the search string comes out in ARG_2. See http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.3.1/Alert/Configuringscriptedalerts

0 Karma

woodsob

Thx for that idea. I just tested and it does show up in variable 2 and 3. Worst case, I can go with that... I also tried making:
| eval description = $description$
but that didn't work.

I also just tested using a macro named comment(1) and that worked very similarly to your approach.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...