Alerting

Email alerts won’t send from splunk

indeed_2000
Motivator

Hi
Email alert won’t send from splunk

Here is the log:

2020-01-16 21:04:53,865 +0330  ERROR     sendemail:392 - No suitable authentication method found. while sending mail to: admin@net.net

2020-01-16 21:04:53,865 +0330 ERROR     sendemail:127 - Sending email. subject="Splunk Alert: Alert", results_link="***", recipients="[u'admin@net.net']", server="192.168.1.1"

2020-01-16 21:04:53,867 +0330 ERROR     sendemail:392 - No suitable authentication method found. while sending mail to: admin@net.net

Here is the config:
alt text
alt text

Any recommendation?
Thanks,

0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

as suggested by @rigoreatigax you need to ask mail server admin to modify or disable the SMTP authentication for your splunk server IP address. You can also download swaks (https://www.jetmore.org/john/code/swaks/) and find out the right TLS/SSL port and auth settings.

0 Karma

indeed_2000
Motivator

I have several applications like Jira that use this mail server, and work correctly.
I only enter ip&port + user&pass in those applications and they send notifications.

0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

Click Settings > Server settings > Server logging and change "EmailSender" log channel to DEBUG.
Then trigger an alert and check splunkd.log.

Capture the smtp traffic on the splunk host and jira with "tcpdump -pnns0 -i any host 192.168.1.xx and port 465 -w /tmp/smtp.pcap" and compare them using Wireshark. This will not help if all the communication is encrypted with SSL/TLS/STARTTLS.

Also ask mail server admin for assistance - he can see the exact reason in the mail server log

0 Karma

indeed_2000
Motivator

Interesting point is when i try to change server from ip to name, in log file still try to connect ip!

It seems server configuration freeze!

I try to restart splunkd but problem still remain.

Any recommendation?

0 Karma

dindu
Contributor

Hi,

Please try the below workarounds and let us know.

Just choose None in option and try as in the attachment.
If it did not work remove the username and password as well and try again.

alt text

0 Karma

indeed_2000
Motivator

Done, problem still remain.
Interesting point is when i try to change server from ip to name, in log file still try to connect ip!

It seems server configuration freeze!

I try to restart splunkd but problem still remain.

Any recommendation?

0 Karma

rigoreatigax
Explorer
  1. Try disabling email security
  2. Check any port restrictions.
0 Karma

indeed_2000
Motivator

How can I disable it?
There is no port restriction.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...