Alerting

Documentation of sendalert's payload

drfk

Hello,

I'm in need of clarification regarding custom alert actions and, in particular, the payload generated by the sendalert command. Sadly, I was unable to find these points adressed in the documentation of custom actions, alert_actions.conf and savedsearches.conf or here at answers.splunk.

1. While reviewing the payload send to my script when the alert is triggered (or alternatively the sendalert command is used), I noticed that the payload always has at least the fields results_link, app, sid, search_name, result, results_file, server_uri, owner, server_host. Is this correct?
  2. Am I correct that the result always (with one qualification, see next question) includes the first result of a search and that the full results can be found in the file given in results_file?
  3. Is it correct, that the my custom script is invoked each time the search finds a result which has different fields than the preceding result (so that the results_file always has a fixed schema)?

Since the alert app I'm working on is kinda critical I would be grateful for reliable statements regarding these points.

Cheers

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...