Alerting

Creating an alert that mointors specific entries of an index compared to entire index

pdreef
Explorer

index=dart_index source=DMZ_IncomingOutgoing status_message="OK" earliest=-48h@h
| eval DeliveryComplete=strptime(delivery_complete, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| stats values(src_host) as Source, values(dest_host) as Destination, values(login_name) as DataOwner, values(host_name) as DartNode, values(xfer_type) as XferMethod, min(DeliveryComplete) as EarliestFileXfer, max(DeliveryComplete) as LastFileXfer by subscription_name
| where now()>relative_time(LastFileXfer, "+24h@h")
| eval DaysOld=round((now() - round(LastFileXfer, 0))/86400, 2)
| eval EarliestFileXfer=strftime(EarliestFileXfer, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| eval LastFileXfer=strftime(LastFileXfer, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| table subscription_name Source Destination DataOwner DartNode XferMethod EarliestFileXfer LastFileXfer DaysOld

I have search that was created by a previous developer and it searches the entire index labeled " subscription_name" The problem is we only want to monitor a certain number of subscrption compared to the entire table of subscription in our DB.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @pdreef, I believe you want to filter some subscription names. If so, please try below;

index=dart_index source=DMZ_IncomingOutgoing status_message="OK"  subscription_name IN ("subs_A","subs_B","subs_C") earliest=-48h@h
| stats values(src_host) as Source, values(dest_host) as Destination, values(login_name) as DataOwner, values(host_name) as DartNode, values(xfer_type) as XferMethod, min(DeliveryComplete) as EarliestFileXfer, max(DeliveryComplete) as LastFileXfer by subscription_name
| table subscription_name Source Destination DataOwner DartNode XferMethod EarliestFileXfer LastFileXfer DaysOld

You can put your subscription_names to be monitored inside IN () block.

If this reply helps you an upvote is appreciated. 

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

pdreef
Explorer

Thanks for the help and assistance. 

The solution is as follows,

Subscription_name OUT (" sub_A | sub_B")

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @pdreef, I believe you want to filter some subscription names. If so, please try below;

index=dart_index source=DMZ_IncomingOutgoing status_message="OK"  subscription_name IN ("subs_A","subs_B","subs_C") earliest=-48h@h

You can put your subscription_names to be monitored inside IN () block.

If this reply helps you an upvote is appreciated. 

pdreef
Explorer

Yes, this worked.! I imagine you can use an OUT for entries you do not want to see in your alert. I will play around and see if that is possible. Thank you for taking the time to help me and my team. 

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@pdreef, great to know it works. 

There is no OUT function, you can use NOT IN () to filter the entries you do not want to see in your alert.

Best Regards

0 Karma

pdreef
Explorer

The NOT IN () did not work in the search, was given the error code below.

Error in 'search' command: Unable to parse the search: Comparator 'IN' has an invalid term on the left hand side: NOT.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...