Alerting

Creating an Alert for Cycle Jobs - Job Runs On Time and Job Did Not Finish

tyhopping1
Engager

Hello all,

Situation: I have jobs that start running at different times because they are dependent on previous jobs to run successfully. There are two events I am concerned with. One event for jobs runs on time and another for job did not finish.

Goal: Alert when the job has ran on time and alert when the job did not finish

Is this possible in splunk? Each job has a deadline(time that should have started to have been completed by the due out time) and a due-out time. Any help is appreciated .

Thank you,
Tyler

Tags (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Some sample events would be useful.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

tyhopping1
Engager

Sample:

Lets say we have jobs named job1 and job2:

1. job1's DUE-OUT time is 1:00pm. However it completes its run by 12:50 pm. I need an alert triggered to let me know this job completed at 1:00pm or earlier (when it happens).

2. job2's DUE-OUT time is 3:00pm. However it completes its run by 3:30pm. I need an alert triggered to let me know this job did not complete by 3:00 pm (@3pm).

Thank you

0 Karma

tyhopping1
Engager

Sounds good, I have provided my approach below, however it is a little rough and I would prefer having a set due out time instead of an average expected time:

"jobLabel"="name of job" | spath "msg.ResponseCode" | search "msg.ResponseCode"=| spath "msg.TypeOfRecord" | search "msg.TypeOfRecord"= | spath "msg.MessageReturn" | search "msg.MessagReturn"=*

| stats earliest(timestamp) as StartTime, latest(timestamp) as EndTime, avg(EndTime-StartTime) as ExpectedDuration | eval StartTime=strftime(StartTime,"%F %T") | eval EndTime=if("msg.MessageReturn"="PROCESSED RECORD", _time,now()-EndTime)| eval Duration=if("msg.MessageReturn"="PROCESSED RECORD", run_time,now()-EndTime) | eval status=if("msg.MessageReturn"!="PROCESSED RECORD","running","success")

Hopefully this helps! Thank you

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You still haven't provided sample data, but I may have enough to work with.
How is DUE-OUT determined? Is it a fixed time after StartTime?
If you want a set due out time, why not use eval ExpectedDuration=3600 or similar?

---
0 Karma

tyhopping1
Engager

The due-out time is a fixed time that serves as the point of which the job should be completed by.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If it's fixed then you can use eval to set a field to a fixed value.

---
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That helps explain the logic, but doesn't say what fields are available. Please share some exact events (sanitized as necessary).

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...