Alerting on a one to many relationship

ksinghg
Engager

Hello,

I am trying to alert on failed login attempts in two scenarios:

1. When multiple IPs try and log into the same email
  2. When one IP tries to log into multiple emails

My search string for 1 is as follows:

sourcetype="backend" | regex "User with email .* used an invalid password." | rex "User with email (?<email>.*) used an invalid password."  | rex "client_ip=(?<client_ip>\b\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\b)" | transaction email maxspan=1000s | search eventcount > 5 | stats count(eval(client_ip)) as IPCount by email | where IPCount > 1

My search string for 2:

sourcetype="backend" | regex "User with email .* used an invalid password." | rex "User with email (?<email>.*) used an invalid password." | rex "client_ip=(?<client_ip>\b\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\b)" | transaction client_ip maxspan=1000s | search eventcount > 2 | stats values(email), count(eval(email)) as EmailCount by client_ip | where EmailCount > 1

Both of these alert on "per result." They work as expected (the first sends an email showing one email and multiple IPs); however, when I increase either where IPCount > x or where EmailCount > x to anything greater than 1, I start to receive a flood of emails where there's only a one to one relationship (one email one IP). The email also leaves the "values(email)" column blank.

How can I do a search/ alert to achieve my desired goal?

Thanks.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Instead of using | stats count(eval(client_ip)) as IPCount by email, try using | stats dc(client_ip) as IPCount by email (same for other query).

ksinghg
Engager

The new search (below) is spamming my inbox again with results that don't map multiple emails to one IP as expected. Alerts return with a single email and single IP. The values(email) and EmailCount rows are left blank.

sourcetype="backend" | regex "User with email .* used an invalid password." | rex "User with email (?<email>.*) used an invalid password." | rex "client_ip=(?<client_ip>\b\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\b)" | transaction client_ip maxspan=1000s | search eventcount > 2 | stats values(email), dc(email) as EmailCount by client_ip | where EmailCount > 2

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Is this a real-time search or regular/historic search? Do you always want to consider attempt within 1000 seconds as valid failed attempt OR this can be any duration? What's the time range you're using?

0 Karma

ksinghg
Engager

This is a real time search. 1000 seconds is just for debugging. This can be any duration right now. Not using a time range.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

If this can be any duration, give this a try.

sourcetype="backend" | regex "User with email .* used an invalid password." | rex "User with email (?<email>.*) used an invalid password." | rex "client_ip=(?<client_ip>\b\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\b)" | stats values(email), dc(email) as EmailCount by client_ip | where EmailCount > 2

Also, once per result option is available with regular/historical search as well, so do you think you can run a regular, more frequently alert, instead of using real-time alert? The real-time searches are expensive.

0 Karma

ksinghg
Engager

I could, I just want to get the real-time approach working first. I just tried the above example and got a bunch of inaccurate alerts again.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Can you try it with regular search?

Even with real-time there should be a time window that you must be looking at, what is it (may be look at job inspector to see what time range is being applied).

0 Karma

ksinghg
Engager

Hello, I tried it with regular search and nothing came up. However, for the above search strings, even with a IPCount / EmailCount > 2, the realtime results are correct but the email alerts are wrong.

0 Karma

ksinghg
Engager

Thanks I'll try it out. Can you explain the difference as to why count() wouldn't work but dc() would?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...