Alerting

Alert when "raises by" doesn't work

rocketboots_ser
Explorer

I am trying to raise an alert when the number of results raises by 1. Each result represents a device going offline and I need to send an email every time a device goes offline. I have a scheduled search every 5 minutes because I want to remember the current state in case one device goes online and another one goes offline.

When I configured the alert I had 0 results. 10 minutes later one device went offline and then 10 minutes after another one went offline. I didn't receive any email. I'm not sure if I've misinterpreted the "rises by" setting, or it's not working. What are your thoughts?

0 Karma
1 Solution

dchoi_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

From the scheduler log:
If the permission of the Alert has been created as shared App or Globally, the scheduler fires the Alert as below:

[INFO  SavedSplunker - savedsearch_id="nobody;search;your_alert_name“, search_type="scheduled", user="admin", app="search", savedsearch_name="your_alert_name"]

Then you will note that savedsearch_id="nobody;search;your_alert_name” does not match the user="admin", app="search", savedsearch_name=“your_alert_name”, here the specific user is "admin" vs "nobody" 

In that case, you need to create the Alert as Private Or need to change the owner to "nobody" in local.meta manually if it’s created as App or Globally shared,
E.g under $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/metadata/local.meta

From

[savedsearches/your_alert]
owner = admin

To
owner = nobody

Then check whether the owner has been changed for the alert by clicking "Settings" -> "Searches, Reports, and Alerts" and check "Owner" field for the alert.

Hope it helps

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dchoi_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

From the scheduler log:
If the permission of the Alert has been created as shared App or Globally, the scheduler fires the Alert as below:

[INFO  SavedSplunker - savedsearch_id="nobody;search;your_alert_name“, search_type="scheduled", user="admin", app="search", savedsearch_name="your_alert_name"]

Then you will note that savedsearch_id="nobody;search;your_alert_name” does not match the user="admin", app="search", savedsearch_name=“your_alert_name”, here the specific user is "admin" vs "nobody" 

In that case, you need to create the Alert as Private Or need to change the owner to "nobody" in local.meta manually if it’s created as App or Globally shared,
E.g under $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/metadata/local.meta

From

owner = admin

To
owner = nobody

Then check whether the owner has been changed for the alert by clicking "Settings" -> "Searches, Reports, and Alerts" and check "Owner" field for the alert.

Hope it helps

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I never use the alert trigger features; I always implement my own directly in the SPL of the search itself. That way I can see the history of what is going on and debug things. The way that you do it is to save the previous results in lookup file by using | outputlookup YourSearchResultsHistoryLookupFile.csv Although the use case is different, the mechanics of what you need to do to go this route can be found in the sentinel example here:
https://conf.splunk.com/session/2015/conf2015-LookupTalk.pdf

0 Karma

lakshman239
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

pls share your search

0 Karma

rocketboots_ser
Explorer
| mcatalog values(device) as device where index=*_metric 
| mvexpand device
| join type=left device [
    | mstats max(_value) as qgets where metric_name=*.QueueGets, queue_name=_monitor, service=*nq index=*_metric earliest=-3m by device, customer
]
| eval online = if(qgets>0, "Online", "Offline")
| search online=Offline
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...