Alerting

Alert query not triggering an alert

Nidd
Path Finder

Hi, I have a sample log like below, for which I have created an alert which triggers if the Expiration Date is greater than current date. 

LOGS:

Date : 17/08/2021 12:15:44
Build Number : 3274
Database Date : 2021-07-15
Expiration Date : 2021-08-17
License Expiration Date : 2021-08-17

MY QUERY:

index=myIdx source="/my/logs/catalina.out" linecount=4 | regex _raw = ".*\sExpiration Date\s.*" | rex max_match=0 "^(?<lines>.+)\n+" | eval buildNumber=mvindex(lines,0) | eval expirationDate=mvindex(lines,2) | fields - lines | eval expirationDateVal = mvindex(split(expirationDate,":"),1) | eval buildNumberVal = mvindex(split(buildNumber,":"),1) | eval expiredConvert = strptime(expirationDateVal,"%m-%d-%Y") |eval expiredConvertDiffFormat = strptime(expirationDateVal,"%Y-%m-%d") | eval remDays =round((expiredConvert-now())/86400) | eval remDaysDiffFormat =round((expiredConvertDiffFormat-now())/86400) | where ( remDays <= 15 and remDays != "" ) or ( remDaysDiffFormat !="" and remDaysDiffFormat <= 15 ) | rename remDays as numDays remDaysDiffFormat as numDaysDiffFormat host as host |eval remainingDays =case(numDays!="",numDays,numDaysDiffFormat!="",numDaysDiffFormat)| where remainingDays > 0 | table remainingDays,host,buildNumberVal,expirationDate

Somehow, this query is not pulling up the logs. Is there something which I am missing in my query? The alert should have triggered yesterday. But it hasn't. Kindly help.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Debug the query by running it one pipe at a time until you find where it fails to return results.

Are you sure you have the math right?  Perhaps you mean < rather than > ?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...