Alerting

Alert if no log messages

rmacurak
Explorer

I'm indexing logfiles from a custom web application that receives nonstop traffic, resulting in virtually nonstop log messages. Occasionally (unfortunately) the application will hang, resulting in a gap in the logging. I'd like to be alerted if this condition occurs. Any ideas on how to search/alert in realtime for "gaps" in the log file, or an absence of data?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

southeringtonp
Motivator

If you just want the immediate alert (no historical reporting), you could do something like:

| metadata type=sources | search source=yoursource | eval age=now()-lastTime | search age>60

If it returns any results, your source has not reported in a longer-than-expected amount of time (60 seconds in this case).

Note: It's not clear to me whether it's preferable to use lastTime or RecentTime in the eval statement. Maybe someone else can explain the difference.

View solution in original post

bshields1

So how does the search change to test for a count of at least 1 record? I'm new to Splunk and not sure what to add to the search noted above.

0 Karma

southeringtonp
Motivator

If you just want the immediate alert (no historical reporting), you could do something like:

| metadata type=sources | search source=yoursource | eval age=now()-lastTime | search age>60

If it returns any results, your source has not reported in a longer-than-expected amount of time (60 seconds in this case).

Note: It's not clear to me whether it's preferable to use lastTime or RecentTime in the eval statement. Maybe someone else can explain the difference.

rmacurak
Explorer

Perhaps not. Ideally I'd be able to identify 5-10 second gaps in the logs, which indicates the "hanging" condition. I'll investigate your hypothesis, thanks.

0 Karma

southeringtonp
Motivator

My guess (and only a guess) is that events are streaming, but the metadata only gets updated every 30 seconds. Is that really a problem though? How often do you want to run the saved search?

0 Karma

rmacurak
Explorer

Unfortunately I was too quick to mark this as solved. It seems that the "age" always grows to 30s and resets to 0s, indicating that the remote Splunk servers that feed this index are only sending data every 30 seconds, even though the logs are constantly written -- does that sound plausible? If so, how do I instruct the Splunk forwarders to stream data in realtime rather than batching every 30 seconds?

0 Karma

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

lastTime is the time value of the last event received's timestamp.

recentTime is the last time (on the index server) that an event was received.

0 Karma

rmacurak
Explorer

Elegant. Thank you very much.

0 Karma

christopherutz
Path Finder

Our solution for this was to run a saved search every n minutes that searches back n minutes for everything. If the results count is less than 1 we send an email. Although not real time, we use n = 5 which fits our needs.

0 Karma

rmacurak
Explorer

This was my initial idea as well, but I figured there was a better way. This is a good way to look back at historical data, though, which also comes in handy

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...