Alerting

Alert emails via Office 365

benhooper
Communicator

As per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow-best-practices/how-to-set-up-a-multifunction-dev... ,  my email server settings are as follows:

• Mail host: smtp.office365.com:587 (I've also tried using port 25 or omitting it entirely)
  • Email security: Enable TLS
  • Username: UPN of an Exchange Online-licensed 365 account.
  • Password: Password of the same Exchange Online-licensed 365 account.

2020 ∕ 10 ∕ 21 11꞉28꞉54 - Settings__Splunk_-_Google_Chrome.png

I created an alert normally and configured it to send an email:

2020 ∕ 10 ∕ 21 11꞉30꞉07 - Searches,_reports,_and_alerts__Splunk_8.0.6_-_Goo.png

However, the log reports two problems (probably related):

1. It's trying to use server="localhost".
  2. SMTP AUTH extension not supported by server

2020 ∕ 10 ∕ 21 11꞉35꞉55 - Search__Splunk_8.0.6_-_Google_Chrome.png

The advanced settings of the alert show that it is aware of the 365 SMTP server.

From https://community.splunk.com/t5/Alerting/How-to-get-Office-365-integrated-as-my-SMTP-server-for-Splu... ,  I know it's normal to have to specify the server when using sendmail in a query and the advanced setting action.email.command uses sendmail but doesn't reference the server so I appended  server=$action.email.mailserver$ and even explicitly server=smtp.office365.com:587 but neither made a difference.

Can anyone help?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

apietersen
Contributor

After trying up/down, left/right, no succes sofar.

0 Karma

apietersen
Contributor

Splunk support suggest the following:

I was reviewing the know issues list and I found the issue number SPL-138647, See the link below for more information.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.2/ReleaseNotes/KnownIssues

0 Karma

apietersen
Contributor

exactly the same error in lines in pyhton.log

2021-03-03
13:26:49,738 +0100 ERROR sendemail:1600 - 'action.email.allowedDomainList' Traceback (most recent call last): File "D:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\search\bin\sendemail.py", line 1593, in <module> results = sendEmail(results, settings, keywords, argvals) File "D:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\search\bin\sendemail.py", line 469, in sendEmail

0 Karma

apietersen
Contributor

I have the same issue, from version 7.3 , with every new version (now 8.1.2)  I hope this would be solved.
Sendemail works only when you set the "Admin_All_Object" capability, but that is in fact a security breach for the regular user 

0 Karma

benhooper
Communicator

For testing, I set up the following new environment:

• Splunk: Enterprise (full 2-month trial) 8.1.0
  • Alert: Exactly the same (installed as part of TA app)
  • Email server: smtp.office365.com:587
  • Email account credentials: Exactly the same

It works absolutely fine.

So, are all these problems a hidden limitation of the dev / test license?

0 Karma

benhooper
Communicator

As my dev / test instance of Splunk runs in a VM, I restored to the v8.0.6 snapshot, updated the SMTP credentials, and found that the problem and errors were unchanged.

0 Karma

benhooper
Communicator

As part of https://community.splunk.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/splunk-alerting/message-id/9866 , I upgraded the installation of Splunk Enterprise from v8.0.6 to v8.1.0 (latest as of writing). Due to the new feature Allowed Email Domains, this changed the error to the following:

2020-10-21 15:09:37,597 +0100 ERROR	sendemail:1599 - 'action.email.allowedDomainList'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/bin/sendemail.py", line 1592, in <module>
    results = sendEmail(results, settings, keywords, argvals)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/bin/sendemail.py", line 469, in sendEmail
    ssContent['action.email.allowedDomainList'] = ssContent['action.email.allowedDomainList'].strip()
KeyError: 'action.email.allowedDomainList'

2020 ∕ 10 ∕ 21 15꞉17꞉36 - Search__Splunk_8.1.0_-_Google_Chrome.pngWeirdly, /en-GB/manager/search/admin/alert_actions/email?action=edit → Allowed Domains is marked with an asterisk as if it's required (which the above behaviour would suggest) but says Leave empty for no restriction.

2020 ∕ 10 ∕ 21 15꞉25꞉33 - Settings__Splunk_-_Google_Chrome.png

As this is a new feature, I just put this down to a bug, added our recipient domain name anyway, and verified that it pushed to the advanced settings of the alert but doing so didn't make a difference - the same errors continued.

2020 ∕ 10 ∕ 21 15꞉48꞉30 - New_Incident__Splunk_8.1.0_-_Google_Chrome.png

In file /opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/bin/sendemail.py, I added the lines beginning with logFile in the following block of code:

logFile.write("ssContent action.email.allowedDomainList before: {}\n".format(ssContent.get('action.email.allowedDomainList')))
    logFile.write("alertContent allowedDomainList before: {}\n".format(alertContent.get('allowedDomainList')))
    ssContent['action.email.allowedDomainList'] = ssContent['action.email.allowedDomainList'].strip()
    logFile.write("ssContent action.email.allowedDomainList stripped: {}\n".format(ssContent.get('action.email.allowedDomainList')))
    if ssContent.get('action.email.allowedDomainList') != alertContent.get('allowedDomainList'):
        ssContent['action.email.allowedDomainList'] = alertContent['allowedDomainList']
        logger.warn("For alert=%s, the 'allowedDomainList' value is always obtained from alert_actions.conf."
                    "The allowedDomainList=%s" % (ssname, alertContent.get('allowedDomainList')))

if alertContent.get('allowedDomainList') != "":
        if ssContent.get('action.email.mailserver') != alertContent.get('mailserver'):
            ssContent['action.email.mailserver'] = alertContent['mailserver']
            logger.warn("For alert=%s, if a 'allowedDomainList' is specified, it uses the 'mailserver'=%s in alert_actions.conf." %
                        (ssname, ssContent.get('action.email.mailserver')))

logFile.write("action.email.allowedDomainList after: {}\n".format(ssContent.get('action.email.allowedDomainList')))
    logFile.write("alertContent allowedDomainList after: {}\n".format(alertContent.get('allowedDomainList')))

The log file contains the following:

ssContent action.email.allowedDomainList before: None
alertContent allowedDomainList before: <my domain>

So, given that it's not even getting passed .strip(), I can only assume that this is a bug.

Also, this 365 account was provisioned for me and I trust the person who did so but I thought I should check that the credentials are valid and found that the password was required to be changed. So, I've set a new password, verified access, and updated Splunk. However, doing so didn't make a difference either.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...