Alerting

Alert Set up

smuderasi
Explorer

I want to set up an alert  when the server status is not "HEALTH_OK" for three consecutive times in a row.

Any pointers on how to schedule such search. I receive data every two minutes.

Capture.PNG

Send Alert IfComments/Alert Frequency
Status is not "RUNNING" or State is not "HEALTH_OK" for 3 times consecutively1 alert every 2 min, for first 10 min, then 1 alert every 30 min
Labels (1)
0 Karma

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi @smuderasi ,

This is not the finished meal, but should give you an idea of how you can do it:

| noop 
| makeresults 
| eval id = "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9" 
| makemv id
| mvexpand id
| eval server = case(id=1,"hostA",id=2,"hostB",id=3,"hostC",id=4,"hostA",id=5,"hostC",id=6,"hostB",id=7,"hostB",id=8,"hostA",id=9,"hostC")
| eval _time = case(id=1,_time+10,id=2,_time+20,id=3,_time+40,id=4,_time+40,id=5,_time+50,id=6,_time+60,id=7,_time+70,id=8,_time+80,id=9,_time+90)
| eval state = case(id=1,"health_ok",id=2,"health_not_ok",id=3,"health_ok",id=4,"health_ok",id=5,"health_ok",id=6,"health_not_ok",id=7,"health_not_ok",id=8,"health_not_ok",id=9,"health_not_ok")
| fields - id

| sort server, _time
| streamstats count as alert_counter by server, state

The first block, until including the | fields - id is just to make up some sample data - you don't need that as you have data 🙂

The streamstats will create the field alert_counter which adds 1 every time the server and state is the same as in the line above. So your alert could trigger when alert_counter>=3 AND state!=health_ok
You can also add your status field like that.

I don't have a good idea right now for your alert conditions (every 2 minutes, later every 30 minutes), might be possible with 2 different alerts somehow.

Hope I could at least give you some inspiration.

--
Karma and/or Solution tagging appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...