Alerting

Alert Email Subject Control

KAC
Explorer

I am producing data like this in an alert that will throw an email, which is needed. I'm attempting to control the email Subject and Message. I need to make an adjustment though. If all of the statuses are "SUCCEEDED" then I need to show that in the Subject and in the message. However, if any of the status are something other than "SUCCEEDED" then I need the Subject and the message to show that.

NOTE: There will always be 5 items; That part is working as needed.

item Status Message

1 SUCCEEDED Success Message
2 SUCCEEDED Success Message
3 SUCCEEDED Success Message
4 FAILED Failure Message
5 SUCCEEDED Success Message

Approach creating the above

| eval subject= if(status="Failure","FAILED","SUCCEEDED")
| eval message= if(status="Failure","Failure Message","Success Message")
| rename affected_ci as URL, subject as Status, event_date_time as Date
| table item, status, message,

What I'm needing is

item Status Message Subject_Value Email_Message

1 SUCCEEDED Success Message Failure Failure Message
2 SUCCEEDED Success Message Failure Failure Message
3 SUCCEEDED Success Message Failure Failure Message
4 FAILED Failure Message Failure Failure Message
5 SUCCEEDED Success Message Failure Failure Message

The idea here is, I need to pass the subject and email message into every row, then use the

$result.Subject_Value$ and $result.Email_Message$ in the appropriate field.

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

KAC
Explorer

After many attempts, I took a weekend off to clear my mind and came up with the following

1) Create a search that ends in a table that determines if the entire process is a Pass or a Fail. To ensure every scenario worked, I needed to include the following

makeresults | eval record_count=null
| fields - _time
| append
Search | eventstats count as record_count | eval PASSFAIL=if(record_count=1,"Succeeded","Failed") | table PASSFAIL

2) append my original search to the results above

3) add a Stats command that brings the results into one record, rather than 5 records

| stats values(PASSFAIL) as Overall_Status, list(URL) as URL, list(Status) AS URL_Status, List(message) as URL_Message

The result are 1 row, but with the results from the 5 records consolidated into the one row
- I can pass the PASSFAIL value into the email
- I can include an inline table showing all the details.

I hope this helps others

View solution in original post

0 Karma

KAC
Explorer

After many attempts, I took a weekend off to clear my mind and came up with the following

1) Create a search that ends in a table that determines if the entire process is a Pass or a Fail. To ensure every scenario worked, I needed to include the following

makeresults | eval record_count=null
| fields - _time
| append
Search | eventstats count as record_count | eval PASSFAIL=if(record_count=1,"Succeeded","Failed") | table PASSFAIL

2) append my original search to the results above

3) add a Stats command that brings the results into one record, rather than 5 records

| stats values(PASSFAIL) as Overall_Status, list(URL) as URL, list(Status) AS URL_Status, List(message) as URL_Message

The result are 1 row, but with the results from the 5 records consolidated into the one row
- I can pass the PASSFAIL value into the email
- I can include an inline table showing all the details.

I hope this helps others

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...