Splunk Enterprise

Excessive error logging from BTreeCP fishbucket/splunk_private_db/snapshot.tmp

kasperl

Hi.

We noticed a few of our RHEL8 servers with splunkforwarder installed logs the line (pasted below) up to thousands of times, causing splunkd.log files to grow excessively and fill the /opt directory.
Sometimes it occurs every few seconds, while other times it will log hundreds of times per second. So far there are only a handful of servers experiencing the problem, and we have many others on running the same version and OS.

09-17-2023 20:33:50.029 +0000 ERROR BTreeCP [2386469 TcpOutEloop] - failed: failed to mkdir /opt/splunkforwarder/var/lib/splunk/fishbucket/splunk_private_db/snapshot.tmp: File exists

Doing a restart of the splunkforwarder service mitigates the problem temporarily, but the error occurs again within a few days.
When the error messages come in, the directory already exists and contains files:

# ls /opt/splunkforwarder/var/lib/splunk/fishbucket/splunk_private_db/snapshot.tmp/
btree_index.dat btree_records.dat

We are not sure what causes the issue or how to reproduce it.

0 Karma

hrawat_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This ERROR will happen when there are lot of files being monitored and `parallelIngestionPipelines` set to high value. Multiple threads are trying to update fishbucket at the same time. First thread creates temp file `snapshot.tmp` and if it's still in the process to update fishbucket, other threads will log above ERROR.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@kasperl - This could a Splunk issue, I would recommended creating a Support ticket with Splunk.

I hope this helps!!!

0 Karma

hrawat_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Fixed by 9.1.4/9.2.1

0 Karma

splunkreal
Motivator

Hello @kasperl  can you check the ACL of this file? Is it root owned unlike splunkd process?

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution if it solved *
0 Karma

hrawat_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It's a race condition between two threads trying to  create snapshot. The error is harmless as all it's indicating is that snapshot already exists( as other thread already created).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...